Fluke

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Where do you put your boat in at?

Keyport Marine Basin and Atlantic Highlands. Just depends on if we want to focus on the bay or out front. We have used Leonardo a few times this year as well but low tide is a struggle there with trailering so we have to pay attention to ins and outs.

Don

Do Don309, Are you using your 308 for flounder? What type of rig? I used to use a Carolina Rig with a 2' leader and squid strips. Back in those days I used 6 or 8lb line.
When does it start up again. I finally bought my NJ license and signed the federal saltwater thingy.

Don M

Don, I sometimes use a 406 Mitchell but that reel does get heavy after awhile. So I mostly use a Shimano Nasic 4000. I use Hercules 20 lb. braid, egg sinkers barrel swivel, 15" 20 lb. Pline fluorocarbon coated leader with a circle hook. 90% of the time I use spearing (I salt them) for bait, sometimes 4" gulp mullet.

Don

Don I wish I had a 306/406. I do have that size in a redone DAM 285 and I also have a Penn710. But they seem overkill for the size flounder found these days. I also have a 302 saltwater. Saving it for stripers someday.
May I assume that 15lb mono and a 12lb floro lead will work well?

Don M

Yep! But I would use a bigger reel. The Mitchell is a 406, the Nasic is light in weight, and he spool stops on the dime after a cast.

Attachments

• 406 restore.jpg
    406 restore.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 2
  • shimano-nas4000xgfb-nasci-spinning-reel.jpg
    shimano-nas4000xgfb-nasci-spinning-reel.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 2

Don M

Troutspinner, I know that is varies, as too what amount of weight you use when out on a boat. What is the heaviest weight you use out thier for fluke? Also to anyone that knows what weight do the head boat use.
Oh and do you ever use these? Since I made some 1/8 oz weights I put them inside the head.

Attachments

• Skrits 1.jpg
    Skrits 1.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Troutspinner, I know that is varies, as too what amount of weight you use when out on a boat. What is the heaviest weight you use out thier for fluke? Also to anyone that knows what weight do the head boat use.
Oh and do you ever use these? Since I made some 1/8 oz weights I put them inside the head.

I have used up to 5 ounces but that was close to 80' and a day where the water was moving fast. My Fluke fishing started on kayak so 1 ounce was typical as drift control on a kayak is much easier than a boat. Since we've moved on from the kayaks and into a boat, 2 ounces is about the norm now and then adjusting up or down as conditions dictate.

Those look good!

A-5

The slot size is basically 1 fish slot. The 17-17.99 is funny. Meaning you will catch 16.5” all day and one over 18”. Lol. 16-17.99 hahahahaha