Fly line ?

Melvinp

What fly lines do you like. Looking at 10wt line and rio is $100 or I can go to Cabela’s and get it for $50. Thoughts.
Floating or sinking and what are you throwing I would assume big meat flys so I would guess floating weight forward and I’m guessing 9ft fast action rod rios pretty good line but I only have it in a 6wt

Bootfoot

Hundred bucks for fly line. No thanks, I don’t care what it claims to do. I’ll take the Cabelas with the caveat that I’d wait for it to go on sale.

HenryDavid

Last fly line I purchased was Scientific Anglers Frequency Magnum,...WF 8 wt. floating fly line. Not their highest grade line but shoots well and does
what I need it to do. It throws bulky poppers really well. A little over kill for dry flies though. I see it's under $50 now, nothing heavier than 8wt. though.
Scientific Anglers Frequency Magnum 8wt fly line.jpg

Solitario Lupo

Floating or sinking and what are you throwing I would assume big meat flys so I would guess floating weight forward and I’m guessing 9ft fast action rod rios pretty good line but I only have it in a 6wt
Floating. Big meat flies. 9ft med action. Need something stronger at the tip. Gotta set them big hooks.

Solitario Lupo

Last fly line I purchased was Scientific Anglers Frequency Magnum,...WF 8 wt. floating fly line. Not their highest grade line but shoots well and does
what I need it to do. It throws bulky poppers really well. A little over kill for dry flies though. I see it's under $50 now, nothing heavier than 8wt. though.
View attachment 2967
I have scientific anglers on my 8wt. Not bad it was cheap enough.

Reactions: Don

Melvinp

HD posted somewhere about sinking lines and it got me thinking and while I was wasting deer hair on larger clousers for the river it really came to what your throwing is the most important factor here’s what I’m working on deer hair clousers and deceivers but I’m aiming at 6 to 8 feet of depth 1 weighted clouser 1 unweighted deciever I should be able to get the weighted version down with floating line but with sinking line the unweighted version will hit that depth but both have there draw backs while casting

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1

Gremcat

Slick shooter and whatever Commando head fits the bill. If it’s too long like happens to me lob it off at the front and taper leader to normalize. I might not be the best to specify here but I like a 5-8’ head and no one makes one so I’m forced to make myself. At $50+ per head it’s a bit pricey to play but thankfully I’m not dealing with huge variations in fly size. I’m lobbing 5-6 bb shots.

Gremcat

I’ve a 450 gr ish shooting head and a few extra spools of amnesia if you want to go that route. Only cost is some nymphs or a day chasing toothy critters😁

Solitario Lupo

Will to update went with Cabela’s line. Very cheap never again one Muskie and the mono line cut the loop up and now have to tie more up on a little thicker part. Let’s see what that does.

HenryDavid

Will to update went with Cabela’s line. Very cheap never again one Muskie and the mono line cut the loop up and now have to tie more up on a little thicker part. Let’s see what that does.
Just curious what kind of knot, loop or connection you had that failed.

HenryDavid

Albright knot.
That sucks that happened to you. If you tied an Albright knot you would've had to cut the loop off the fly line,.. no? I've trusted loop to loop connections for a long time even though I despise that type of connection for a variety of reasons. A blood knot would be my favorite, tipped with some liquid seal. I will give you the benefit of my doubts cuz I don't chase the toothies with a fly rod, matter of fact I don't chase them at all. But when I've hooked a monster smallie or trout I've never had the loop fail. It might be the larger area of contact with the loop to loop connection that prevented any slicing of the fly line.

Solitario Lupo

I did not cut the loop off just tied onto it. With the Albright knot and won’t be doing that again. This time I cut off the loop and tied higher on the line. Probably going to do the same so I’ll be looking into your knots. I know my buddy had the same thing with salmon. He had his knot slice the line so it’s either line or knots.

HenryDavid

Nail knot would probably be the most recommended. I wish it were easier to tie. You could probably get away with a leader with a really stout butt section. I need to get my 7/8 wt. rigged with a better leader for river smallies.

Melvinp

Most of my fly lines have welded loops except for my 4 weight witch has a small perfection loop tied into it and I make the connections from my leader to my fly line with a triple surgeons loop it’s probably not the best but it’s easy to tie and I really don’t have any issues.I never knot to the loop it’s only loop to loop if I needed to tie directly to my fly line I would use a blood or nail knot like HD said.I have cut into my loop but only do to getting snagged and having to break off