Frances E Walter Dam

Don

Am I wasting my time here? Looking for crappie. Thought about trolling the west wall drop off pretty deep.

pabassman

My buddies do well on the ice when they can get on it. My son was there last weekend with his new kayak. First time there. Lots of deep water, sharp drops from 8 feet quickly into 60+. He met a guy at the launch that said its way to high yet. I found they have a page on FB that gives daily updates. From what I can get there is a big drawndown starting soon.

Screenshot 2021-09-18 8.59.30 PM.png

A-5

Yes FEW dam looks like Te moon after fall try draw it down. NEver understood this. Everyone does it b

MB3

Yeah the draw down is huge. There is a cove that lights up like crazy on the fish finder with crappie or what I assume is, because that is what we caught in that location.

It has been tough fishing there but we don't use bait and we fish shallow lakes mostly. I can still remember seeing half a live bluegill flopping on the surface there once. Must be some nice slime darts in there.

Don

I was there to fish yesterday. Very choppy for my little boat initially then it turned to glass. Bass were very busy. Caught a bunch.

You folks mentioned the draw down. It is down 30' + just since the recent storms and it is very evident that it had contributed greatly in controlling the Lehigh where I live at the mouth of Lehigh on the Delawhere. So stinking impressive. Debris is half way up the dam face and it is still in draw down I believe. See the waterline at the top of the cliffs and lumber on the Dam face:

Attachments

• IMG_1597.jpg
    IMG_1597.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1599.jpg
    IMG_1599.jpg
    600 KB · Views: 10

Gremcat

From a boat I see them busting surface off the creek launch, don’t know what it’s really called, creel feeder has decent trout with cool water too. Stretch legs and fish left side of outflow about halfway down where it really opens up. Lip hook a fathead and use a slinky weight. You’ll catch some large stuff that way. You know me, if I can’t catch it on a fathead or shiner I don’t bother throwing anything else. If they feed on minnows but maybe slow I’ll throw other stuff to entice a bite.

Reactions: MB3

pabassman

F Y I

Francis E. Walter Dam

32m ·

📣
CORRECTION - we've updated the days/dates on the final drawdown (aka mega release). They were listed incorrectly on the previous news release:
- Thursday, October 7, 2021, 1:00 a.m. - 1000 cubic feet per second
- Friday, October 8, 2021, 1:00 a.m. - shift to 4000 cubic feet per second
- Saturday, Oct. 9, 2021, 1:00 a.m. - shift to 1700 cubic feet per second
- Saturday, Oct. 9, 2021, 1:00 p.m. - shift to 850 cubic feet per second
- Sunday, October 10, 2021, 1:00 p.m. - shift to matching inflow
*Release values assume a 500 cubic feet per second inflow
Details: https://www.nap.usace.army.mil/.../army-corps-shares.../

Melvinp

Is it worth it to try to fish it during a draw down or just for the lower water level

pabassman

I dont know a lot about the place. Current draw is always a good thing at the Pack but this sounds pretty big. I think they are looking for a 30 plus foot drop over the four days. Thats pretty extreme to me lol. I want to check it out this fall. I got buddies that do well on perch and calico. And there are giant bass to be had. 2012 had some crazy catches in later fall. My son got an upgraded kayak and is looking at fishing there a lot too.

Reactions: A-5

Don

PA have you taken a look and the underwater slopes and structure at FEW ? outsatand habitat for fewer but larger fish. It is about 1/10 the size of Paupack and apparently does not have stripers and Walley. If I had a slightly bigger boat I think this would be my focus. I met a guy recently that was buying a 5' long huge boat net. Jokingly I said he wouldn't need a net that big in PA. His eyes widened and he said that "you wouldn't be what he's been catching in FEW. Trout as long as his arm. I said yeah but no 10 pounders. He said much bigger. So they would be striper sized trout.
Thank you for the draw down info on FEW. I am planning to return late Oct- early Nov.

pabassman

PA have you taken a look and the underwater slopes and structure at FEW ? outsatand habitat for fewer but larger fish. It is about 1/10 the size of Paupack and apparently does not have stripers and Walley. If I had a slightly bigger boat I think this would be my focus. I met a guy recently that was buying a 5' long huge boat net. Jokingly I said he wouldn't need a net that big in PA. His eyes widened and he said that "you wouldn't be what he's been catching in FEW. Trout as long as his arm. I said yeah but no 10 pounders. He said much bigger. So they would be striper sized trout.
Thank you for the draw down info on FEW. I am planning to return late Oct- early Nov.
Not really. I've never been there during the draw down. I've seen a couple pics. If I had a smaller boat I would be there too. I would love to get a 14 -16 tin ship with a 9.9 for there and Prompton.

pabassman

I hear ya. Launching is tough at both I hear. I can attest for few.
Idk if its tough at FEW. Not bad at Prompton. I know several guys that put 21' bassboats on there. I just hate trying to trailer up with the trolling motor. Bassboats are meant to be driven onto the trailer. I know my luck. I havent had a battery issue in many years but the day I'm on a trolling motor lake is when I will lol

Don

Thanks WB. See if the road will be visible in winter all the way across the inside of dam face?