Freshwater Jelly Fish

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I have been fishing nearly all my life and today, I learned something new as I witnessed it with my own eyes. There are indeed, freshwater jellyfish.

We fished Leaser Lake today with my buddy having hopes of getting into some crappie. We did find a few good keepers, some small bass, a perch and a pickerel but I was amazed when I noticed a bunch of tiny 1” jellyfish all around the boat in the one spot we were fishing. I asked Brian, look at these closely, am I seeing things? Sure enough, he looked it up and they are not “that” rare but definitely rare to us as he has never seen them either. Pretty neat.

Melvinp

I’ve never seen a fresh water jelly before but I did get introduced to the spiney water flea this weekend on Seneca lake in New York what a mess they get on your line and look like snot they can make your 8pound floro look like 300 pound test.

Don

I have been fishing nearly all my life and today, I learned something new as I witnessed it with my own eyes. There are indeed, freshwater jellyfish.

We fished Leaser Lake today with my buddy having hopes of getting into some crappie. We did find a few good keepers, some small bass, a perch and a pickerel but I was amazed when I noticed a bunch of tiny 1” jellyfish all around the boat in the one spot we were fishing. I asked Brian, look at these closely, am I seeing things? Sure enough, he looked it up and they are not “that” rare but definitely rare to us as he has never seen them either. Pretty neat.
Did you really mean “keepers”? Are they allowing non trout species to be kept there now? Been waiting many many years for leeser to do that. I still remember the day they closed it. In my past life.

Reactions: A-5

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Did you really mean “keepers”? Are they allowing non trout species to be kept there now? Been waiting many many years for leeser to do that. I still remember the day they closed it. In my past life.

Yep, keepers. New rules started this year.

Reactions: Don

Gremcat

Yeah reproduce in unhatched pods or whatever professional term is. “Bloom” once a decade or so.