Gator anyone?

Gremcat

I got a surprising rejection letter from SC. I had 3 pts which always was a guaranteed tag even for the highly coveted Middle Coastal region. I’ve fished/hunted the Southern Coastal and Midland taking one just under 11 in Southern then passing an 11’ in midlands 3 years later. I’ve always wanted Middle Coastal which is well known for 12-13’ absolute monsters you have to tow back to ramp. I just got an email they had held back tags and decided to release them. I drew one.

Soooo, here’s the tough part. Being post primary draw the few guides are probably long since booked. My primary guide was a state trapper for 35 years. He passed last year sadly. Good guy and if I hadn’t forgotten the application cutoff two years I’d have made this trip with him. In Southern I know where monsters are and it’s an easy trip in a large Jon boat. I know nothing about Santee Cooper area.

Anyone want to get a chewed on bloody boat? Harpoon or two with floats to start the chaos. 3” rapala knife to spine to finish one after pulling it 1/4 into the boat. These are mostly accessed by Jon boats. My old guide ran a 20’+ and an air cooled crazy motor with a very long upward prop. We had that thing in 2” of water a few times. Has a weird roll bar over the console. I’ve seen people cruising in with a row boat and trolling motor so not necessary to have the dedicated rig.

Might grab a cheap Jon boat I saw online but maybe someone here wants in on the adventure. It’s def a team activity. Took 3 of us, none under 200 lbs. to get my first to boat. Last trip we should’ve hit Marion at night but that lake is full of cypress stumps. Guide was worried about someone getting hurt. I also didn’t know after Sat morning that lake was packed with people. Crazy seeing an 11’ monster in a cove of docks near houses, a 9’ cruising by water skiers, and the last 9’ my buddy got impatient waiting on we saw from ramp on way out. Lakes are infested with them. I’m just holding out for a true leviathan.

Heck, even if I find a guide If a few want to come along let me know. I do not use the Glock/bang stick method boatside but have no issues letting someone else throw the harpoon or stick one with the harpoon arrow deal from crossbow.

Reactions: A-5