Getting Set.

Don

So what and when do you Dudes and perhaps Dudetts prepare for ice fishing.
Do most of you buy certain supply’s and make other supplies. Do you scout for new places or use pretty much the same locations as before?

pabassman

Just load up and go! Pick up bait when we get a deep freeze. My ice tackle is pretty much organized when I put it away. Not a lot too it. Scouting isnt always an option. Where you want to look at might not be safe. Unless you're with people that have experience with ice stay near the crowd. I have waypoints marked but cant always get to them. Sometimes you just fish where you can not where you want.

Reactions: Don

Don

I’n watching. Don’t surface all spit’s n sputter’s. Show us fish. Do you use tipups or BootFoot poles or just regular stuff?

pabassman

I'm strictly panfish on the ice. No tip ups. I use ice rods. 24 - 28". 2 - 4# line. 3,4,5mm tungsten jigs. once in a while a small spoon.

Solitario Lupo

You’ll fish where you get safe ice to fish. As for gear you need the right gear or you won’t last long standing on the ice.

HenryDavid

Start searching around for deals on underlayers, merino wool socks and very good boots. I don't use buckets, a heavy duty gear bag, rod case and a small sled. I bungy everything to the sled so I can travel light. I stuff a 2nd small bag inside the bigger bag to keep spare gloves, socks, neck gator, knit caps dry. You can add a small folding chair and a hot jug of coffee and you're all set.

Randy Z

Ice shanty, and a buddy heater. Piece of plywood with 2 1by runners under it to set your feet on, keeps your feet of the ice, makes all the difference in the world with keeping your feet warm.