Heavy fish

Don

I know the stories: “we catch all our 90 lb salmon in rapids, under blowdowns and through underwater boulder fields on two pound floro”. I’ve heard it all from the NY crowd. But if one wanted to haul them in from the depths in an expedient fashion what test line and leader would you use for large lakers and Pike?
In spite of a members sincere advice I’m gonna load this Ambassador up with line and I want the best combination. I’m thinking 25 lb big game and 20lb seagaur floro or some other inexpensive floro leader.
Overkill…..not enough ?
There is allot of debris (logs and rocks) in these lakes and the fish are deep in summer.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
There is no definitive answer. It comes down to your rod and reel. A 7’ rod vs say a 11’ salmon rod are going to handle quite different. The 11’ allowing you to get away with lighter line as the longer rod will relieve line shock.

The reel is similar. If you have a quality reel with a predictable and reliable drag, you’re in business no matter the line weight.

Now if you want to just horse them with a broom handle. I’d say double the line weight to the expected catch weight….but hold on! ;)

Blackcat Outdoors

My only experience with that type of stuff would be with my shark rig. I run 80lb braid and steel leader on a 13' surf rig with a Penn reel. I've seen people land big boys (4-500lbs) on similar setups, but it takes hours of playing them out. As was said above, a good drag is a big benefit if you know you have something 2-3x the line weight. Expect to be in for a long haul with 25lb test and a 90lb fish. Patience is a virtue for that. Whichever line you choose, put an easily seeable backer on behind it to. Makes it really easy to tell if your about to get spooled when the line is flying off against the drag.

Reactions: A-5

Bootfoot

What are you fishing for? Pike? 25lb test is sufficient for most freshwater fishing Including Pike. If I were targeting pike I would probably go with 30lb test and a 40lb bite leader.

Don

Pike, lake trout and channel cats in deep water and I’m told allot of debris. Maybe fall striper.

Bootfoot

15 to 25 would work just fine. If your worried about teeth you could go heavier but I generally don’t worry about teeth because I don’t fish for pike. I always prefer the lightest line possible and I don’t worry much about snags either.

Solitario Lupo

I’d run probably around a 20lb mono main line. Then run lighter leaders starting at 10lb and work up if it’s not working out.

Don

Sound advice Sol. I plan to use this to retrieve heavy stuff…junk cars trees and who knows what else. Will likely switch to braid after the learning curve.