Hooks for Esox

Don

In addition to being bit off allot I also loose allot to pull outs during the fight. It seems like the hard mouth off the pickerel is too tough be held by single hooks. I want to either greatly increase hook size switch to treble hooks.

Last edited:

Don

As a fly fisherman I always have the tip low but when I set the hook it invariably comes right out. Dang... I do sharpen now. I'm thinking of trebles.

truecrimson

Hook sharpener. If they jump learn how to lower your rod tip. Give a good strong hook set.

As a fly fisherman I always have the tip low but when I set the hook it invariably comes right out. Dang... I do sharpen now. I'm thinking of trebles.

Interesting. I always kept it high and didn't lose any more of them than anything else. A few years back I was hauling them in at Memorial on Zoom Super Flukes on an offset hook.

Don

I'll be trying some trebles. Might even try 2 at once for medium or large minnows.

Solitario Lupo

Interesting. I always kept it high and didn't lose any more of them than anything else. A few years back I was hauling them in at Memorial on Zoom Super Flukes on an offset hook.
I’ve lost about 12 nice ones where I’ve hooked keep the tip up and they shot right out of the water to just spit the hook.

Melvinp

I set up but try to fight down just keeps the angle of your line less more angle more water stress on the line but ever fish is different and some just like to jump no matter what you do

Don

I'm looking forward to next week for cooler water. I hope to have a bit more Pickerel and Crappie activity. Rain Sat. High wind Sunday. Temps look like they'll be down a little next week, 10+/- degrees.

Melvinp

My heating oil tank is loving the temps everything else not so much well it could be snowing

Reactions: A-5