Hooks

Don

The rest is straightforward but how would you hook this old eel? IMG_2429.jpeg

Who uses what for which plastic? I'm interested in using the flipping hook, Texas rigged with Senko and stickbaits. Anyone els use the flipping hook. Might use it for plonking as well.
shopping.jpeg

Last edited:

Solitario Lupo

I usually just use plain jighead with them. I like the weight on the hook.

If you use just hooks might want to look at the free rig.

Reactions: Don

Blackcat Outdoors

I'm a big fan of those gamakatsu offset hooks you have peaking out there for Texas rigs. Never tried that flipping hook pictured.

truecrimson

I've used the offset hooks a lot for soft plastics. For the big one I would just turn the hook around and stick the point in the bait. I don't think I've ever used the other kind you have pictured, with the keeper barbs.

Melvinp

My 2 cents craws good paddle tail good frog up side down frogs are surface baits by nature flip the hook and eel either way of course this all depends on conditions

Solitario Lupo

Stop, Its not upside down!

I do wonder if it floats or sinks?
Lol just looked hook is upside down the point is supposed to be out the back. So the frog is not upside down the hook is. Either way maybe it might swim right since I threw them at the beginning of winter and all the dang thing did was flip over on me and swim upside down.

It sinks.

Don

Weedlessness has become more and more important to me as I learn to catch fish in schmucky areas. The right Hooks are important. What hooks do you like the most for which baits. I have very limited experience but I like allot of what I see in Sol's photo.
Some of the types I've noticed:

Attachments

• images-3.jpeg
    images-3.jpeg
    1.9 KB · Views: 1
  • images-2.jpeg
    images-2.jpeg
    2.7 KB · Views: 1
  • images-1.jpeg
    images-1.jpeg
    5.2 KB · Views: 2
  • images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    3.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    4.3 KB · Views: 2
  • shopping.png
    shopping.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 1

Solitario Lupo

I like them all haha. I don’t care for the spinner trailer one or the one with the spring and weight up front. Don’t care for hook style. The ones with the weight in the middle work great. Might wanna get the size and hook shape down I know some hooks aren’t long enough are wide enough to go threw the back of the plastic so the spring up front helps. As you can see there’s a bunch of different styles out so find the ones that work for you.

Don

On the ones with the weight on the side I assume that u stick the tip of the plastic over the top instead of trying to oust the weight and hook through the plastic?

Solitario Lupo

Ones with the spring is like the Texas rig with the weight on the outside bottom of plastic. The other ones that you got in the pic with no spring I would thread the plastic lure overtop the weight.

Another I’ve learned is sometimes a big needle thread your line threw the plastic and a smaller hook on the outside.