Hot tent

HenryDavid

Anyone have any experience setting up a "hot tent" for ice fishing or winter camping. I was tossing around the idea of trying it last year but didn't get around to it. Basically any form of tent or ice shelter with a heat source is what I'm talking about. I'd like to convert an Eskimo insulated pop-up ice shelter either with a small wood burner or propane heater (obviously with proper ventilation.

The more I research the wood burners the more complicated it seems, stove pipe needs to be supported in case of wind and not allowed to scorch the shelter.

Oh yeah, I plan on sleeping on a cot inside.

Don

And in addition to HD’s questions how does on secure a shelter to the ice?

REI and west marine had little wood stove years ago.

Solitario Lupo

Will just guessing here your easier choice is to throw a propane heater in there. Then you can adjust the temps the way you want it but now propane can get expensive.

Wood stove a little harder to control but cheaper. Seems a little harder to control since you would have to add the pipe for venting. Probably some kind of metal or stone below. Then some kind of metal bracket to hold in place.

Good luck let us know how it goes 🙂

Don

I had thought of a box that could slide into my truck. Hard sided. Micro stove like the one shown above.

Solitario Lupo

And in addition to HD’s questions how does on secure a shelter to the ice?
Drilling holes. Rope and anchors. I would use big sticks as your anchors or something you don’t care for. Your holes will freeze over and won’t get them back.

Blackcat Outdoors

For what you want, just get a buddy heater. Make sure you have decent ventilation just in case, but they aren't known to throw off very much carbon monoxide in the tests I've seen on them. They are tip over safe also.

Actual "hot tents" come with a stove jack installed usually. You could probably install one, but I wouldn't do it to something myself just to be able to burn wood. Most of the tent style wood stoves work well, but have very short burn times. You'd be up every hour feeding it if you wanted to keep the warmth all night. Most guys I know that have them burn a fire to warm it up before bed and then rely on their bags to keep them warm until am. Then they light it up again to take the chill out.

Melvinp

In the new shelters a big buddy heater will keep ya going but make sure some good air gets in there. No sleeping in a shanty for me you can tell when the o2 levels start to get funky not so bad on a windy day

Randy Z

The bigger the tent the better for overnight camping. Be sure to get a carbon monoxide alarm and keep it about 3 ft off the ground. There are ice anchors out there. These came with my Eskimo shelter and a handy drill attachment. Get some excercise mats and cover the floor/ice with them, makes all the difference in the world.

Attachments

• 1672064239950692776796549205752.jpg
    1672064239950692776796549205752.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1
  • 16720642591136762610519266037480.jpg
    16720642591136762610519266037480.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1