How long should a battery last?

Don

The charger used to give it 13.1 volts or so. Now It only charged to 12.7volts. is it on the brink? Its one year old?

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Good question. Is the charger putting out the correct voltage or at least work fine in other batteries?

At only a year old, it may be under warranty still. I’d take a visit to where you bought it if it is.

Melvinp

A fully charged 12volt car battery is 12.6 volts but this doesn't mean its good its all about the amps.

Don

I used it allot more yesterday than any other day. The wind made re locating a constant effort. So maybe that is why it didn’t quite make it.

Gremcat

I won’t joke on princess bride or wife will divorce me. A trick to get low batteries trickle charging again - hook a trickle charge up to 12volt, hook jumpers up to a vehicle battery. I use my big 7.3 batts. Once the trickle reads a good charge it takes over.

Probably should throw disclaimer out here. I think you can do bad stuff beyond boil over. I forget lots of stuff and just attempt again. No malady/mishap must be ok. No telling how badly I’ve devolved good things to border line fatal lol. I used to have my tractor 12v drain down and wouldn’t recharge. I would buy a new one annually. Learned that trick and just yanked corroded wiring off headlights = problem solved. No telling how many batteries tested bad and weren’t.

Lithium like 3v for autonomous drones, etc. or other 3 cell setups you can do similar but be really careful,,,,, kerrpow. If you aren’t really non-risk adverse (depends on day) you can sort of half butt rebalance between the 3 cells but it’s sketchy at best. There are load balancers for doing that. Better way but technically you can jump lithium and rebalance close enough to get charging again. I really don’t recommend the jump method but won’t say I wouldn’t. I can’t remember and don’t have a ton of pricey lithium but recall load rebalancers weren’t stupid cheap. Probably not real expensive either.

Don

Hey im trying to live through this Bro, lol. Sure would look funny me burNing the boat tho the waterline.
I bought a charger that has many choices but I just put it on auto. That turns to trickle. Sure is nice not to have to row everywhere.