I’m trying to improve my minnow

Don

Handsome little guy. As much as Deer is the most authentic I have gotten allot moe interest from Kraft Fur. Also the minnows Ive tied with oodles of flash were by far the least productive. I now use only one to two pieces of ivory crystal flat on each side. Looking forward to seeing your finished product.

Melvinp

Looks good but how’s it going to fish.
The one is see is my old pattern,it looked good in the water and had fair movement but wasn't heavy enough and only tracked about 3 to 4in below the surface.So i need to add some weight and when i do it will flip the hook over so i really have to retie it upside down im also thinking a bead just behind the head to flair up the craft furr.

Melvinp

Rough draft 3 other 2 in the can

Attachments

• 524713C9-2982-40F2-BF06-B24BAAEC4CDA.jpeg
    524713C9-2982-40F2-BF06-B24BAAEC4CDA.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3

Melvinp

Here’s the wet view and #2 big improvement on the profile with estaz body

Attachments

• 002042A9-B3DE-4685-AD22-AF73AC79639D.jpeg
    002042A9-B3DE-4685-AD22-AF73AC79639D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Melvinp

Not 100% sure how there going to ride yet up or down some I’m trying to tie them for either.

Solitario Lupo

More weight on the hook shaft. That’s how I know they will ride up. I’ve found the extra round bend and big hook points are a pain to ride up.

Melvinp

5 or 6 red glass beads.
No reason you can’t but watch your hook don’t fill the gap beads don’t collapse when the fish hits leave at least one beads distance before the tip of the point

Last edited:

Don

What?
I mean on the shank instead of weight to make it ride point up. look carefully and you can see the glass beads. This fly is size 2/0 WG worm hook. It keels very nicely and and the feathers dance as if to swan lake. IMG_4617.jpeg

Melvinp

On a standard hook you have to watch how far your bead is from the point on the hook yoy dont want to get the bead to far back and close up your hook opening.

Don

On a standard hook you have to watch how far your bead is from the point on the hook yoy dont want to get the bead to far back and close up your hook opening.
Yes sir. That is the case. I see what you are talking about now.
Look at Josey with his Live Minnow Fly.

Melvinp

Yes sir. That is the case. I see what you are talking about now.
Look at Josey with his Live Minnow Fly.
I was checking out your fly try doing a thread base under your beads (you can actually change the color) it will help the beads from sliding around and you can reduce the size of your thread ball that holds your beads in place add a little glue to that spot