I am so stinking Anxious for 40 degree/+ water and consistent 50/+ air temp

Don

Okay. I was hoping someone would ask but I guess I’m nominated to ask the following: what is fogging oil, how does one blow it out?

Melvinp

Fogging is when your done running your motor for the season and you remove the spark plug and pour oil down the spark plug hole it keeps things from rusting and sticking when it time to fire it up again plug the spark plug out maybe turn it over a few times and then fire it up and it will fog oil smoke for a few minutes. This is a 2 stroke thing I don’t think I would do it with a four stroke good way to bend valves if your not careful.

Bootfoot

I’ve never heard it shouldn’t be done with a 4 stroke. Why or how would it bend valves in a 4 stokes and not a 2 stroke. Although I do own a 2 stroke I owned a 4 stroke that I would also fog the motor for winter with never an issue.

Don

is it when it fires as a diesel by compression when the valves are out of time to it? C’mon Master Mechanic Melvin. Give us the story.

Melvinp

Boot hit it the nail on the head having intake and exhaust valves take up a lot of room and excess oil in the cylinder can bend valves usually when cranking it over the engine has to make a complete revelation before the valves open

Reactions: Don