I dabble in DIY

Don M

I dabble in DIY. I got in to rod building about 2 years nothing fancy, just very fishable. I bought a Mudhole wrapper kit with the power wrapper. After a few rods, I thought why not make the rods as much as possible custom. So I built a cork press, a lathe to turn the cork (out of a sewing machine motor), and homemade reamers out of old blanks. When I trout fish I always take 3 rigs, 2 to fish with. If I see a young angler into fishing I give them the 3rd rig, rod and Mitchell UL and some history of the Mitchell. My way of keeping the youth, out on the streams.

Attachments

• Cork press.jpg
    Cork press.jpg
    451.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    335.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 7.png
    7.png
    617.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Reamer.jpg
    Reamer.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Handle 1.jpg
    Handle 1.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 4

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Nice stuff Don and I like your approach. I have a friend who helped teach me how to build rods and he has similar approaches to you, keep it simple, use what works and he makes some fine builds.

Don M

Yep I have to keep it simple, if I want it right. I saw a post by Randy Z, say how easy it is to make mistakes, and have to do things over. Plus I really don't have the patience to do the stuff Randy does!!

edcowan

I dabble in DIY. I got in to rod building about 2 years nothing fancy, just very fishable. I bought a Mudhole wrapper kit with the power wrapper. After a few rods, I thought why not make the rods as much as possible custom. So I built a cork press, a lathe to turn the cork (out of a sewing machine motor), and homemade reamers out of old blanks. When I trout fish I always take 3 rigs, 2 to fish with. If I see a young angler into fishing I give them the 3rd rig, rod and Mitchell UL and some history of the Mitchell. My way of keeping the youth, out on the streams.
I've built rods for close to 50 years, nice hobby and you can really get what you want. Not really a money saver unless you would normally buy top end stuff.

A-5

Ed is right. Tough part for me is I order online. I would love to test the blanks before hand. But oh well.

Don M

I have a friend that attends the INTERNATIONAL CUSTOM ROD BUILDING EXPOSITION. I build mostly HMX blanks from Mudhole. The vendors at the expo drop prices some half price or more. I usually get blanks (Mudhole) for $3.00 per foot, get some great deals on components too, I get half dozen or so. I like HMX (lifetime guarantee) just pay shipping. I agree holding the blank would be nice. But I think you can pretty much tell how the blank will feel & react, by the specifications. And taking in consideration of the components your using. I know some guys measured, the weight of the guides, to me that's taking it a little to far. I will say I haven't broken a HMX blank yet fishing. A friend I built one for did, lifting a double header of horseshoe crabs. Trying to lift it up on a jetty. The people at Mudhole have a great deal of knowledge, and are very helpful if you call them. By the way NO I don't work for Mudholeo_O.

A-5

I use get bent. 10-13’ rods is my usual although I have done Onlg two that were shorter than 10’

Randy Z

I know what everyone is talking about! The dollar amount is everything. I wont lie. I can't build a rod for what you can buy it in the store! Thats a fact! But that store built rod is not balanced for a reel, only has 5 guides on it, its not built on the spine............ i could go on, but.... Im out of words. Either you know what a custom rod is about or you dont. Just my opinion.. just saying... LOL!!!

A-5

True zman. But I have trouble balancing a 13’ noodle. Thought since I was making it I could add weight, just doesn’t want to balance. Sucks.

Solitario Lupo

There always cheap stuff but when getting a lifetime rod for 150 bucks and just have to build it yourself is a lot better than paying 500 dollars in my book.

Don

So Don what weight, power and speed do you prefer for larger fish? I so love what you did with that sewing machine motor. I've built two fly rods and they work well. I use Proofflyfishing.com for my blanks and supplies. Matt's video's are great and are posted right on his site.

Melvinp

W
True zman. But I have trouble balancing a 13’ noodle. Thought since I was making it I could add weight, just doesn’t want to balance. Sucks
What’s heavier the rod or reel I would assume with a 13 ft rod that would be the culprit either heavier reel or move the reel forward a little or a little bit longer butt

Randy Z

True zman. But I have trouble balancing a 13’ noodle. Thought since I was making it I could add weight, just doesn’t want to balance. Sucks.
Im assuming with that length the rod is tip top heavy? You can always add some weight inside the handle. Some lead fly tying wrap or equivalent. Once rods get that long either you deal with it or make the rod a 1/2 pound heavier at the but and have to deal with a super heavy rod. Its tough.

Gremcat

Yeah I can’t balance anything long but can’t cast centerpin on anything short for some reason. I drop the tip and longer rods help buy me some margin when I do it.

I really like the look of a spey 12’ 5-6wt sage one for a float rod but A. Can’t find a blank or reasonable rod to strip and B. Still not a heavy hook setter which seems to be an issue on really light rods with big fish.

Even oversized trout have been schooling me by inhaling my bait but then after a few minutes spitting it right out even using #2 light wire micro barbs. I’ve always let fish set their own hooks though so fishing with a float rod and bead or anything with fly isn’t easy. I’m used to leaving line on the water so spooky fish can run a bit before they feel the tension.

Gremcat

If anyone knows where I can find a blank comparable to a Sage One or X without selling an organ let me know. I’ve heard a few places overseas make the blanks and if you know the spec you can order direct from Alibaba or one of those sites. I’ve looked and can’t make heads or tails of half their specs honestly.