I Quit!

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
No! Not that!

Today marks day 25 without a single puff of a cigarette. I am using a crutch, Nicotine Pouches called On. I started with 4mg then switched to 2mg about a week ago. At 2 weeks in, I went through 2 days of bad withdrawal symptoms, sharp headaches, nausea, messed up dreams and that depressed feeling that almost feels like loss if you've had that experience but after those 2 days, I felt a calming and my confidence that I have put down cigarettes forever is 1000%. I am finally in control.

I don't care if I am addicted to Nicotine right now using my crutch, I'll work that out through time but breaking the physical and mental addiction is the priority and I am well on that way as not smoking has become the norm in my daily routine now.....which is pretty much nothing different, I just don't go outside to smoke now.

Being around smokers doesn't bother me much except the smell afterwards....I've found myself putting on a fresh shirt after being around my Dad or a friend that fishes with me. I suppose there is alot of truth when former smokers say, when you're ready to quit, you'll quit. I was ready.

I've cleaned the interior of my truck spotless and then ran an Ozone Machine and then Bombed it with an air cleaner and the truck smells awesome! My clothes smell great! Heck, I guess I smell great.....maybe a little fishy. LOL. I am looking forward to tomorrow, next week, next month, next year....

Melvinp

No! Not that!

Today marks day 25 without a single puff of a cigarette. I am using a crutch, Nicotine Pouches called On. I started with 4mg then switched to 2mg about a week ago. At 2 weeks in, I went through 2 days of bad withdrawal symptoms, sharp headaches, nausea, messed up dreams and that depressed feeling that almost feels like loss if you've had that experience but after those 2 days, I felt a calming and my confidence that I have put down cigarettes forever is 1000%. I am finally in control.

I don't care if I am addicted to Nicotine right now using my crutch, I'll work that out through time but breaking the physical and mental addiction is the priority and I am well on that way as not smoking has become the norm in my daily routine now.....which is pretty much nothing different, I just don't go outside to smoke now.

Being around smokers doesn't bother me much except the smell afterwards....I've found myself putting on a fresh shirt after being around my Dad or a friend that fishes with me. I suppose there is alot of truth when former smokers say, when you're ready to quit, you'll quit. I was ready.

I've cleaned the interior of my truck spotless and then ran an Ozone Machine and then Bombed it with an air cleaner and the truck smells awesome! My clothes smell great! Heck, I guess I smell great.....maybe a little fishy. LOL. I am looking forward to tomorrow, next week, next month, next year....
Waawhoo

Bootfoot

Congrats! At 25 days your far from being out of the woods but it’s a great start so stay committed and focused. Remember, you can never have “just one.” You are right in that it’s more mental then a physical addiction. I read somewhere that the physical addiction to nicotine only last a few days and after that it’s all in your head. Changing routines is the hard part. You can do this! Good luck.

as a side note, don’t you love a clean truck? I have a 2003 GMC with an interior that looks showroom new and getting inside it keeps my head in a good place.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Going strong! I believe today is day 33. Last weekend, I was going through some aches and pains. With a little research and classifying myself as a Google Doctor LOL it appears there is a syndrome in the quitting process called the "Quitting Flu" where you get these symptoms as your blood vessels are healing. On day 2 of those symptoms, I took a 4 hour nap and I had some terrible dreams and cold sweats, I assume more withdrawals. When I woke up, I took my temperature and it was 95 degrees and my resting heart rate at 50. My resting heart rate is usually 53. My hunger was ravenous so I ate and after that, I felt great and I continue to feel great.

The other day at my local reservoir I decided to make the exit up the bank to the road rather than walk the wooded trail back. That requires a sprint up a steep incline about 25' long. The reason for the sprint, if you don't sprint, you'll lose momentum and come back down! When I got to the top, I jumped the guard rail and started walking and realized, wow, I was not breathing heavy. Go figure right? ;)

truecrimson

I always tell people who are going out to smoke "Thank you for your support!" since they are a big part of my customer base ;)

I quit the night before my heart bypass surgery. Had my last cig outside the ER at Bad Sam. Didn't know I would be having surgery and spending 7 days in the ICU. At least you are smarter than I was.

we-can-quit-smoking.jpgHere-is-What-Happens-With-Your-Body-When-You-Stop-Smoking....jpg

Don

I miss it every day. Quitting was the hardest thing I ever did so I’m proud of anyone else who did it. A 3 pack a day habit, friends didn’t recognize me without the cigs. I gained 100 lbs in about a year and a half. Slowly but surely I began using more sugar and Al Cohol. Got rid of that as well.
Watch your carb intakes.
Only thing that bothers me is the smell of cigars. I miss smoking everyday since Jan 6, 2000. I don’t feel better health wise. I had to add diovan (only need 1/2 the lowest dose) to allay depression. Slight increase in coffee but I’ve alway drank too much coffee.
Feels good to not be a dependent on smokes.
Screw the clean truck. Bunch of sissy’s. Lol!

Don

I always tell people who are going out to smoke "Thank you for your support!" since they are a big part of my customer base ;)

I quit the night before my heart bypass surgery. Had my last cig outside the ER at Bad Sam. Didn't know I would be having surgery and spending 7 days in the ICU. At least you are smarter than I was.

View attachment 3872View attachment 3873
Nice post TC. By the way how did you take your lungs out to photograph them?

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Screw the clean truck. Bunch of sissy’s. Lol!

You should have seen me the other day. I had the boat in the driveway giving it a full bath just like a car, trailer too. I vacuumed it, emptied all of the lockers, cleaned them out, organized them and put them back together. I was fishing the Schuylkill a couple days prior and man did it get dirty! and smelly! I know, I know, I have issues LOL but I do believe keeping a boat clean is key to finding issues early so that they don't become big issues that mess up a day of fishing.

I am still going strong with not smoking. I do get urges daily, some are a real panic but it goes away in short time. Nothing that would make me steal one from my wife. I have put on 8-10lbs but I will address that over the winter. My sinuses are much better which goes full circle in helping with allergies, sleeping, digestion, etc. so there is that. My energy level is up, which was one of the major reasons I wanted to quit.

Don

Nice thing about being on your boat is that it is so clean you can eat anywhere you want. Just pick a spot dump out your food and eat your fill. Crumb's, Gravy, Ice cream. no worries, Craig will get it.

Bootfoot

You should have seen me the other day. I had the boat in the driveway giving it a full bath just like a car, trailer too. I vacuumed it, emptied all of the lockers, cleaned them out, organized them and put them back together. I was fishing the Schuylkill a couple days prior and man did it get dirty! and smelly! I know, I know, I have issues LOL but I do believe keeping a boat clean is key to finding issues early so that they don't become big issues that mess up a day of fishing.

I am still going strong with not smoking. I do get urges daily, some are a real panic but it goes away in short time. Nothing that would make me steal one from my wife. I have put on 8-10lbs but I will address that over the winter. My sinuses are much better which goes full circle in helping with allergies, sleeping, digestion, etc. so there is that. My energy level is up, which was one of the major reasons I wanted to quit.
Have you stopped the nicotine pouches yet?

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Have you stopped the nicotine pouches yet?
Not yet but they are getting fewer and further between. I may be forced to soon though, I went to the 2mg a while back and my local stores are not carrying them right now. I can’t handle the 4mg, they’re too much and they make me feel like a kid trying chewing tobacco for the first time.

Bootfoot

I remember my first brush with the Red man. I wouldn’t want to do that again. Time to toss the crutches aside. You can do it.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I remember my first brush with the Red man. I wouldn’t want to do that again. Time to toss the crutches aside. You can do it.
One step at a time. I smoked for 35 years, I have no problem taking my time for this transition. On the bright side, if this could ever be seen as a positive, I have a terrible memory. I've been meaning to have a pouch for the last 4 hours but I keep forgetting.

A-5

Not yet but they are getting fewer and further between. I may be forced to soon though, I went to the 2mg a while back and my local stores are not carrying them right now. I can’t handle the 4mg, they’re too much and they make me feel like a kid trying chewing tobacco for the first time.
I remember that. Awful. Green it made me