I Quit!

Don

I chewed redman or Levi Garret when I smoked. The way I quit was with the product called Zyban (pill) and nicoret gum. Zyban was a lite antidepressant and I would use the 4mg nicoret for the first two weeks along with a half slice of sugar free gum. third week I broke the nicoret in half and wrapped a whole piece of gum around it. 5th week I broke the 2mg gum in and wrapped a half piece of gum around it. Week six no more nicoret. I chew gum a little bit until a couple years went by. No more smokes after week 6.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I chewed redman or Levi Garret when I smoked. The way I quit was with the product called Zyban (pill) and nicoret gum. Zyban was a lite antidepressant and I would use the 4mg nicoret for the first two weeks along with a half slice of sugar free gum. third week I broke the nicoret in half and wrapped a whole piece of gum around it. 5th week I broke the 2mg gum in and wrapped a half piece of gum around it. Week six no more nicoret. I chew gum a little bit until a couple years went by. No more smokes after week 6.
I really like Redman and Levi, workhorse too. One day maybe I’ll be able to have a good chew. ;)

Maybe Boots comments got to me?? Today, I took every nicotine product in the house and trashed them. The pouches I was using, while very tasty, contain alot of sweetener and it is getting to me so a decision was made. A good one. ;)

Don

Resolve resolve resolve. Its the only "right choice" when it comes to nicotine. I'll be praying for you as well.

Bootfoot

Great news! Because if your sucking down nicotine thru a cig or a pouch your still smoking. Sort of, kind of. Now tough it out for the next two days. I’m willing to bet your addiction was more the routine of actually holding and physically smoking then the nicotine. Don’t succumb!!! You got this, Your a non smoker now.

A-5

I’ve always been able to have that wonderful smoke a 1/2 hour before daylight on the salmon River go home and just stop. Without issues.

truecrimson

I stay away from all nicotine. Pretty sure if I accept a cigar from a fishing buddy on the river I'll end up buying a pack on the way home. I sure don't want to start dipping or anything else. I stay away from all of it and have for almost 10 years.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I’ve always been able to have that wonderful smoke a 1/2 hour before daylight on the salmon River go home and just stop. Without issues.
And I hate you for it! LOL. J/K. My fishing buddy Brian is this way too. He can smoke and drink beers all night and then go without a cigarette for weeks or months....just depends on the beers I guess.

Bootfoot

I stay away from all nicotine. Pretty sure if I accept a cigar from a fishing buddy on the river I'll end up buying a pack on the way home. I sure don't want to start dipping or anything else. I stay away from all of it and have for almost 10 years.
I quit for 10 years When somebody handed me a cigar in a bar in Germany. I bought A pack of smokes at the machine not one hour later. Smoked again for another 10 years when I quit cold turkey. Took 9 months for the urge to smoke went away.

I know one puff will lead to one cigarette and one pack and another 10 years. I will never have another puff, chew, pouch, vape or whatever because I know I can’t have just one. Damn I wish I could but it’s not happening.

A-5

And I hate you for it! LOL. J/K. My fishing buddy Brian is this way too. He can smoke and drink beers all night and then go without a cigarette for weeks or months....just depends on the beers I guess.
I’ll be honest. After 4 days with Reno and the boys it’s time to detox. Drinking never really interested me to abuse it. Smoking after a trip I’m ready to clean my act up lol. I smoked while we were in Newport RI. Going in two weeks now. Probably won’t indulge till Salmon. Can’t wait

Don

Cigars and fishing go together well. Fat Swishers or cheap Phillies. I can't indulge or I'd very quickly be on cigs again. Just the smell of either makes me long for one.

Gremcat

No! Not that!

Today marks day 25 without a single puff of a cigarette. I am using a crutch, Nicotine Pouches called On. I started with 4mg then switched to 2mg about a week ago. At 2 weeks in, I went through 2 days of bad withdrawal symptoms, sharp headaches, nausea, messed up dreams and that depressed feeling that almost feels like loss if you've had that experience but after those 2 days, I felt a calming and my confidence that I have put down cigarettes forever is 1000%. I am finally in control.

I don't care if I am addicted to Nicotine right now using my crutch, I'll work that out through time but breaking the physical and mental addiction is the priority and I am well on that way as not smoking has become the norm in my daily routine now.....which is pretty much nothing different, I just don't go outside to smoke now.

Being around smokers doesn't bother me much except the smell afterwards....I've found myself putting on a fresh shirt after being around my Dad or a friend that fishes with me. I suppose there is alot of truth when former smokers say, when you're ready to quit, you'll quit. I was ready.

I've cleaned the interior of my truck spotless and then ran an Ozone Machine and then Bombed it with an air cleaner and the truck smells awesome! My clothes smell great! Heck, I guess I smell great.....maybe a little fishy. LOL. I am looking forward to tomorrow, next week, next month, next year....
Dad died at 39 after a 5 year battle with aggressive lung cancer. I don’t judge others vices but brightens my day to hear you quit. My brother has tried quitting chew a lot since moving in. Saying he’s normally irritable is a misuse of English but when he’s quit each time after a week he’s pretty miserable. He uses nicotine gum.

Takes a bit for the urges to go away. Especially if you drink a few beers or get stressed. Wouldn’t hurt to carry regular gum or some hard candy. When I quit I gained about 30 lbs lol. I was 20 or 21 so I lost it quick. Only smoked a pack/day started at 13 so wasn’t as bad as lifelong smoker quitting.

Gremcat

Not yet but they are getting fewer and further between. I may be forced to soon though, I went to the 2mg a while back and my local stores are not carrying them right now. I can’t handle the 4mg, they’re too much and they make me feel like a kid trying chewing tobacco for the first time.
My brother said same. He said they make him dizzy like a kid smoking. He smoked for 20 years 2-3 packs a day and goes through tins of chew like skittles. At 230 lbs with a lifetime of use/abuse if he can’t take the larger pouches I’m not sure who they are targeted at?

A-5

This thread makes me laugh. Everyone hates smoking (I get it). But they use

Sun tan lotion like it’s the cure to cancer that gives you cancer

Bug spray kills things what’s it doing to your innards

Microwave

Ice cream. Carrageenan gives you cancer
All natural doesn’t have it buy smart

All the meats we eat with all the antibiotics

Round up

Miracle grow

Blah blah blah.

Bootfoot

Except, unlike cigarettes, there is no medical evidence and that sun tan lotion, microwave ovens, bug spray, and ice cream cause cancer. I personally do not consume round up or miracle grow so don’t care if they do or not.

A-5

Except, unlike cigarettes, there is no medical evidence and that sun tan lotion, microwave ovens, bug spray, and ice cream cause cancer. I personally do not consume round up or miracle grow so don’t care if they do or not.
Oh ok boot. Whatever

A-5

Carrageenan is in all ice cream except the specific natural ones just read the ingredients.
1C7D1F29-4880-4581-B506-5AC924A36830.png

Also in Toothpaste Peanut butter and pancake mixes. Point is read your labels. Their are ones without these things in them
391B3525-83AE-4497-B5BB-15A53461B37E.jpeg99E6B154-7377-41B0-A110-CB4572F247F5.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Don