Ice "Flies"

HenryDavid

I saw some of these advertised online, very pricey, $4 each even. I was curious if any of you do it yourselfers & fly tiers had any idea how one might create some without breaking the bank. These are tungsten and glow. Glow is a plus but tungsten not a necessity.
Tungsten -glow - hand tied ice jigs.jpgTungsten -glow - hand tied ice jigs.jpg

Melvinp

Looks to be some sort of woven thread under a clear vinyl or latex on a curved nymph hook it’s a very cool idea hardest part would probably be the woven under body there probably coated with epoxy but I’m not sure

A-5

Melvin that fly is easy. As long at the material is a quick set like 39 seconds. They do glue eggs like that. They spin the vice in circles to mold the egg and it dries perfectly

Melvinp

A clear condom would work very well for the outer skin on that pattern like the valadi worm sorry probably spelled wrong

Melvinp

50 pound clear mono and thread body rejected and I’m out of hooks

Attachments

• 90B7911B-02B8-4BB5-B203-17BC75540077.jpeg
    90B7911B-02B8-4BB5-B203-17BC75540077.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5

Solitario Lupo

Doesn’t look hard. I might be able to do it not exactly like that but I’m sure I could come up with something.

Glow in the dark bead. Either a dubbing or thread under layer. Glow in the dark ribbing vinyl. Could even do a glow in the dark thread. Then just uv glue.

Melvinp

Not pretty but it glows I’m out of hooks and clear vinyl rib but I used 50 pound mono,coats glow thread,glow finger nail polish and a tungsten bead I dipped in glow powder my phone put a little uv in there so it won’t glow that much

Attachments

• 7D5078F5-E5D0-4610-A7BB-3BF7FD2E8C0B.jpeg
    7D5078F5-E5D0-4610-A7BB-3BF7FD2E8C0B.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • 10F81DA5-FE8C-42A1-A88C-583DC7B0A153.jpeg
    10F81DA5-FE8C-42A1-A88C-583DC7B0A153.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3

Melvinp

Did some internet hunting and you can buy glow vinyl that would be perfect depending on how thick it is

Solitario Lupo

Not pretty but it glows I’m out of hooks and clear vinyl rib but I used 50 pound mono,coats glow thread,glow finger nail polish and a tungsten bead I dipped in glow powder my phone put a little uv in there so it won’t glow that much
Think that would work. Looks good.

Randy Z

I have been fishing with these jigs i have tied. I call them "Drunkin Hair Jigs" i cant even count the fish ive caught on them!! Calico mostly!!! They work for sure!!! You can ask MelvinP, im not sure how they will work under the ice though. 16th ounce by the way. Same jig with a rubber tail? Nope. Hair works better!!!

Attachments

• 20211106_204531.jpg
    20211106_204531.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6

HenryDavid

I have been fishing with these jigs i have tied. I call them "Drunkin Hair Jigs" i cant even count the fish ive caught on them!! Calico mostly!!! They work for sure!!! You can ask MelvinP, im not sure how they will work under the ice though. 16th ounce by the way. Same jig with a rubber tail? Nope. Hair works better!!!
I read awhile back that calico love white so I picked up some white hair jigs like the one in your photo, haven't had much luck with them. I primarily fish at night for them, small glo-jigs tipped with wax worms or small spoons tipped with fathead minnows, or, flathead minnow on a single bare hook. I usually rotate all 3, switch them out, different colored plastics on small jigs also.

Melvinp

Try this to you can get it at Walmart the diameter is a little big and it’s not very strong good for under lays

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 2