Idiots

truecrimson

I know you are right…..but at least I could yell Hey! and then point to the sign. It would make me feel better. Lol
There is actually a psychological underpinning to that. If you say something then they may take it as coming from you. If you can point to a sign then it is coming from a recognized authority with an established and universal rule set. It's not just this angry guy yelling at me, it is a rule that applies to everyone and I am breaking it.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
There is actually a psychological underpinning to that. If you say something then they may take it as coming from you. If you can point to a sign then it is coming from a recognized authority with an established and universal rule set. It's not just this angry guy yelling at me, it is a rule that applies to everyone and I am breaking it.
Exactly!

Gremcat

I've got a big truck. A little bump with a tire would get their attention :cool:
Yep, driving my 7.3 01 super crew more these days. Pull up and idle next to their yaks and the Greenies would run over in horror and move their mess. Or they’d be soot covered and smelly. Even works on highway. People naturally give wide berths to that thing. I put an exhaust on it but that was more for the good of my own hearing. It’s not required but the PO cut it off under the cab and the turbo whistle gave me a headache.

truecrimson

24 minutes long, but 0 to 4:30 is the first relevant part. I know this is VA and a private land owner complaint, but it's being enforced by law enforcement and it happens here too. (I've had guys threaten to call the cops on me for fishing in creeks by roads and bridges where there are no private property and no "no fishing" signs. Every time it's happened I've had the wife with me and she just wants to go and avoid trouble so we do)

They relocate their vehicles downstream and launch at clear and obvious boat launch. They then use their torqueedos (electric motors) to go upstream. At about 10:30 they pass the point where they got the tickets.

He talks about it some more at 19:00, talks about how the spot they initially launched at looks like a launch.

At 22:50 he talks about On X. On X does not work for me. I've tried it. He also talks about the app showing that where they were initially is a public easement so I don't know how the land owner can call it trespassing.

So he beats the ticket, but he has to go back to VA to do it. He can't just pay the ticket. And the confusion is not resolved.

The places that I used last time at Blue Marsh, are they paddle launches or bank fishing spot? I don't know. They aren't posted either way. People use them for both. Jeff said he has launched at that spot in the video 5 times and only had a problem on the last one. So if there aren't signs that say "launch here" or signs that say "don't launch here" you are taking a chance.

Ramp etiquette from some pretty famous old school kayak anglers

A-5

Never have I seen someone get a hard time for just launching a yak on public water. As for private. They don’t have to post land or water. If it’s not a navigational water you can’t go on if either

truecrimson

So how do you distinguish public easements and public access points?

Drive along the Quittie or even the Swattie around here or Hammer Creek in Lancaster county or Snitz, or Bachman, or any of a dozen other little creeks and you will find hundreds of gravel spots where people park and fish. I've seen people launch canoes, and tubes, and yaks from them. A lot of the land they are on is public easement for flood plains. No one can own it. A lot of it is just on the side of a road, and there is no adjacent property, just more road. Some of it may be private property. How do you know if it isn't posted one way or the other? I won't ignore a private property or no fishing sign, but I'm not psychic.

Anyway, the point was that people do get ticketed for not using official boat launches, whether any of us have seen it or not.

And clearly they could launch elsewhere on that water, so the water itself wasn't private.

Bootfoot

Public easements do not mean the public can use the property in the easement. It grants a a limited certain people the right to use it but not to own it or direct others to use it. In other words the water company can run a water line across your property. That is an Easement. It can be used by the water company to fix or inspect its property and that’s it. They cannot have company picnics on it and it does not open YOUR property to use by the general public. if your land is landlocked by another property you may have a private easement that is a driveway that allows you to get to your property. It does not allow others of the general public to use it. With that said, to be guilty of trespass the property has to be posted, fenced or otherwise conveyed to you verbally that there is no trespassing allowed.

space preserved as open space is still private property it just cant be developed. So all those signs you see saying preserved farm by your local politicians can’t be used by the general public either. It’s open space you can drive by and look at But you can’t run across it chasing butterflies.

if you are in a public park that has water in it than you can access that water from anywhere in the park as long as it’s not Posted to stay out. Peace valley park has a section of the lake where you can not walk to or fish from a boat. It’s clearly marked. The rest of the lake and the bank is fair game.

A-5

So how do you distinguish public easements and public access points?

Drive along the Quittie or even the Swattie around here or Hammer Creek in Lancaster county or Snitz, or Bachman, or any of a dozen other little creeks and you will find hundreds of gravel spots where people park and fish. I've seen people launch canoes, and tubes, and yaks from them. A lot of the land they are on is public easement for flood plains. No one can own it. A lot of it is just on the side of a road, and there is no adjacent property, just more road. Some of it may be private property. How do you know if it isn't posted one way or the other? I won't ignore a private property or no fishing sign, but I'm not psychic.

Anyway, the point was that people do get ticketed for not using official boat launches, whether any of us have seen it or not.

And clearly they could launch elsewhere on that water, so the water itself wasn't private.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
pace preserved as open space is still private property it just cant be developed. So all those signs you see saying preserved farm by your local politicians can’t be used by the general public either. It’s open space you can drive by and look at But you can’t run across it chasing butterflies.

We had this situation in the development where I live, my property was involved. People took it as they could just come and use it. No one actually did but it impeded us from installing a fence, shed, pool, etc. Myself and neighbors had to go to the township to prove to them that it was a simple allocation of open space that a developer has to designate on plans and not actual “Open Space” as the term has come to be known today. In our case, it was close to 30 years ago where it was sold and sold again so people got caught up in the “terms” and not the actual meaning. Thankfully, it was cleared up without having to spend a ton of money and time in courts.

Bootfoot

yep, local L&I departments are staffed with some real dumb asses which is why I do not get permits unless they show up at my door and tell me I need one. Hasn’t happened yet.

I frequently check the tax parcel/flood plain records for stream ownership. If you tap on the stream bed and it comes up as owned by the local municipality than it’s good to fish as long as you legally accessed the stream. if It comes up as part of a tax parcel owned by somebody else it’s private property. I fish one area where the homeowner of an adjoining parcel posted public property owned by the county parks as his own. the signs say you will be arrested for a penal code violation. Pennsylvania penal codes were replaced in the 70’s with the current crimes code. Hippies are real dumb asses to. I have been fishing there for years and nobody as ever said anything to me.

Don

I grew up on a farm in Dublin. The marvelous Deep Run Creek sauntered through our property and it was my delight as a kid to fish this creek. I know how it feels to have the public stomp across your property to fish or hunt. That being said some property owners can be jerks.

How dare you: “Hippies are real dumb asses to.” There are to o’s in too. Lol

HenryDavid

I use GIS when scouting out stretches of creeks to fish. Click on an area and it gives the courthouse information of ownership and property values.

truecrimson

I grew up on a farm in Dublin. The marvelous Deep Run Creek sauntered through our property and it was my delight as a kid to fish this creek. I know how it feels to have the public stomp across your property to fish or hunt. That being said some property owners can be jerks.

How dare you: “Hippies are real dumb asses to.” There are to o’s in too. Lol
two o's in too ;)

Melvinp

Thats why I don’t take the boat out on the weekend. On a weekday I have the entire river practically to myself. If there is another boat, it’s a guarantee that guy knows proper etiquette as well. Totally different crowd from The weekend crowd.
Learning this quick but only chance I have definitely leaning towards spring and fall as far as the boat comes then out come the creek sneak’s and the yak

Bootfoot

Learning this quick but only chance I have definitely leaning towards spring and fall as far as the boat comes then out come the creek sneak’s and the yak
I had a job where I worked weekends and had tuesdays and wednesdays off. Initially I hated it but I grew to love it because of the lack of others on the water, at restaurants, movies or golf courses. When my schedule changed back to having weekends off I hated it and still do. Fortunately I had 11 weeks paid time off a year so I used the bulk of that time taking weekdays off to go fishing. Now I only have 3 weeks paid time off. I still won’t go out fishing in my boat on the weekends in the summer. Spring and fall yes to the boat but never between Memorial Day and Labor Day. I much prefer staying home, cutting my grass and hanging out with the wife on the weekend.

two o's in too ;)
I think that’s Don joking around, or is it a typo?

Reactions: Don

truecrimson

Yeah, unfortunately my schedule sometimes compels me to fish on weekends, though I prefer to fish on weekdays. I really hate holidays. 4th of July the wife will be at her aunt's and I haven't been able to get out since 6/5, so I am fishing this weekend come hell or high water.