jig brief for the uninitiated (read Me)

Don

Can't argue with the one...or can you?

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I try not to over-complicate it. If I believe the fish are chasing Crawfish, some type of 2 appendage trailer will get the job done. If they are keying in on baitfish, a shad style trailer it is. That shad style trailer can get complicated in it's own right with whether to use paddle tail or a flat tail but the same can be said for 2 appendage type trailers depending if you are looking to get noticed or to be subtle.

Don

Hmmm. Just finished up on a few video on wired 2 fish. He simplifies it by saying something like “in weed wide bug or craw type. In lanes it a paddle tail minnows with paddle tail. Open water no paddle tail”. B-Lat confirmed such.
Remembering that this posting is for the uninitiated I see their point and desire to simplify. I caught many many fish on Kietec shiners last year. Maybe three or four of all species combined were caught on Senko’s (pathetic) and only one lousy little bass was caught on a craw. I swore off on all artificial by the end of September. I wanted to catch something.
I will do the same this year. Start out with an array of jigs and plastics. I’m getting better at anticipating where they’ll be and besides, they’ll be hungry early on and I’ll be more into catching hardly very little. Craws will see very little if any time as with my style of fishing they’re worthless. They may stay with some deep water stuff but I doubt it.
My gear is lighter as well and that won’t change. The jigs and chatter baits will be weight of 1/8, 1/4 and 3/8. Spoons from 1/32-1/4 and jerkbaits will be used more. My jig reels aren’t braid ready but I’ll I’m considering floro for the jigs.