jig hooks

Don

Well Melvin, King of Jigland. I finally realized how well bead chain eyes and a jig hook work as yesterday I was in allot of stumps weeds and pads. They're not perfectly weedless but are a great great improvement over Streamer or Bait hooks. Its awful nice when you realize you just missed your mark and dropped your favorite fly into the middle of tree roots or pads only to see it retrieve cleanly.

Last edited:

Don

What will you tie on the #29 size 12 and the model 19 size 6. Is six all the bigger you go on the river?

Nappy

model 29 size 12 are for stone flys. the size 18 are for catching big shinners. as for the model19 hooks i use the smaller sizes for strike indicator style fly patterns and the larger sizes for sculpin patterns. i feel these hooks are one or two sizes bigger than the number. and no i use 4 alot for my sculpins. the size 10 with the 7 32 tung beads are for ice fishing jigs

Nappy

iI like the 60 deg hooks better than the 90 deg but thats just me. I think you get better hook ups. that is with slotted beads not cones

Nappy

The model 19 is a really strong hook for a really good price. oh ya my sculpins are with dumbell eyes not beads

Don

So when you tie your sculpins with Dumbell Eyes do the eyes go inside or outside the hook?

Is Cone vs Bead merely personal preference?

I Caught a lot of Shiners at the lake last week.

Nappy

outside right at the bend. I use cones on straight shank hooks and 90 deg hook. I use slotted beads on 60 deg hooks.

Nappy

I prep hooks first, a bunch that way I glue and thread base around eye.
The two finished are just playing with some odds and ends on the bench.
Size 4 hook20210416_080954_HDR.jpg

Nappy

Model 29 but size 10
It's BEAT up from fish but just trying to show you the profile of the curved long shank. They are a much tighter wrap when first tied. I use fish to brush out the body dubbing lol20210416_091337.jpg

Don

-Love the stonefly!
-Really like the panfish colored sculpin.
-So if using a straight shank hook with the eyes outside I can expect the fly to ride Hook up👆

I have a box of #2 Aberdeen Id like to use up.

So please, Spec a Bugger for me and I'll purpose buy material to tie it. Size color, bead, cone or eyes. This is a learning process for me.