Jigheads

Don

If you bought a jig with a flat eye or horizontal eye which would you end up preferring for which purposes?
I'll go first: I'd like a vertical eye and would count on it to encourage a self keeling attitude.

pabassman

This one could go on forever! There a dozens of style jigheads. Many work well in specific situations. Some are not good in some situations. The big thing is balance. Weight, hook size, and style/shape for the water species you're chasing all need to work together.

Don

Go on.......currently I use 3" Neds, 2", 4" and 3.8" Kietech jobbers, white 4" paddle tails, 2" and 2.5" grubs. I'm thinking a 1/32, 1/8 and 1/4" ball mold and 1/8oz and 1/4" flat Ned style.
By the way I could go on forever. I understand if folks don't have the same enthusiasm and time on their hands. Its sad that I didn't learn these mysteries as they developed.

pabassman

Ok, you have said you fish mostly weedy lakes. Like the pocono swamps. You also like to target panfish. So lets start there. 1 & 2" twisters. keitech ect on 1/64 - 1/16 heads. You can cast or drift these looking for schools. These should have the smaller lighter hooks you need. Size 10 up to 6. Probably the bait mostly used by the panfish heads I know on those waters is a 1/64 head with a 1" Gulp minnow two to three feet under a small bobber. Everything eats those. In the coldest water a tiny marabou like a flu flu jig tipped with a maggot is a killer. Your options on heads is minimal in these sizes. Round head 90* hook. Thats it. As far as bass goes there are tons of options. First the ned. Not the best choice in weeds. Its a smaller finesse bait that just gets lost. A texas or wacky rigged senko would be a better choice. More open water is where they are a killer. Again in those lakes the jighead is less of a good option for the bigger swimbaits, grubs ect. A weedless rig like a wide gap hook with a screwlock is very popular. Just a regular worm hook is fine too. 2/0 - 4/0 hooks are needed for the bigger baits. In a different thread these were mentioned. I think A5? said the toothpick trick. Some of these hooks can be found weighted. Instead of that type a 1/32-1/16 bullet weight on the line works fine. Weeds require a more streamline approach. The flat eye is not the way to go in weeds. Even the 90* on the tiny jgs isnt great but not much for options. If you are using a jighead a 60* is better, less vertical area to catch weeds. And a more cone shaped head will come thru cleaner. Again.... balance. Small light hooks on lighter heads for small baits. Bigger baits bigger hooks. Once you are in more open or deep water the options get greater.

Don

Well, I didn't think you'd take the bait PA. I've never seen you write more than a sentence or two and now your good advice is immortalized in electronic print, wonderful.
Today I'll be on Mauch Chunk with my 15 year old and will troll worms and Keitech 4 and 3.8 minnows until I have a hit and can determine the depth. Then I'll drop anchor and fish wacky and and spin offering. Maybe I'll try the Ned. Are there big fish on the bottom this time of year or is 30' too oxygen depleted for big Bass?

BTW the superglue and braid worked great in principle and today we'll find out if they are durable. I pre-made and glued a nice selection of fatties, worms and regular baitfish both on jigheads and WGH size 1 and 3/0. Mauch chunk is pretty clear where it is deeper than 8' and I'll be focusing on rocky bottoms where possible.

pabassman

Well, I didn't think you'd take the bait PA. I've never seen you write more than a sentence or two and now your good advice is immortalized in electronic print, wonderful.
Today I'll be on Mauch Chunk with my 15 year old and will troll worms and Keitech 4 and 3.8 minnows until I have a hit and can determine the depth. Then I'll drop anchor and fish wacky and and spin offering. Maybe I'll try the Ned. Are there big fish on the bottom this time of year or is 30' too oxygen depleted for big Bass?

BTW the superglue and braid worked great in principle and today we'll find out if they are durable. I pre-made and glued a nice selection of fatties, worms and regular baitfish both on jigheads and WGH size 1 and 3/0. Mauch chunk is pretty clear where it is deeper than 8' and I'll be focusing on rocky bottoms where possible.
Good luck (y)

Don

What is the best, most all purpose color, for jigheads from now through mid-spring?

Don

Okay, what I'm hearing here is any color will do. I just made these from #6 by 7X hooks. wrapped the heavy thread up and down and tied the eye on. I used black and red hardasnails on a black hook. This puts the hook further back.

Attachments

• IMG_1581.JPG
    IMG_1581.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 8

A-5

Actually no.
White, black,olive
Honorable mention pink and chartreuse

Unless your steelhead fish pink is the bomb

Melvinp

I always like red with a big minnow for jigging for Chanel cat,gold for pan fish and white for bass

Don

I know what you mean. Yesterday I found them at the Giving Pond. But it is frustrating. I have a friend in Haycock that always finds them and white perch in the Nock. I like to eat keeper sized of both. He finds them when fishing deep Bass and Striper in big schools. Wish I could.

Don

Sol,
We will put them to the test. They look better than in your photos. The articulated fly is great. What do I do with the eggs?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg