Just a few free spinner blades

Melvinp

Brass beads ain’t cheap
Nope add the wire and clevis,beads,hooks and blades it turns into a pretty big investment just for spinners but I would like to get a wire forming tool then I could also make spinner baits and such

HenryDavid

I used to buy the metallic beads for ice fishing tip-up rigs, they were costly. The plastic colored beads are cheap. I primarily used shiny silver beads for attraction and weight, not cost effective when toothy's can rip up your rig. I have a few select rigs left but new ones are plastic beads and shot for weight.

Solitario Lupo

Does it have to be brass beads. I just went to hobby lobby and got some metal beads. Brand is metal gallery a pack is 100 some beads for around $3. They also work on some hooks for bead heads.

Melvinp

the biggest thing about brass beads would be the weight really wouldn't matter if you used one large brass or lead section and plastic or lighter metal as long as the overall weight was the same of course depends how heavy of a spinner you want.

Don

When and where are you using spinners these days. I felt that the industry has moved to plastics. Do you only fish them on rivers only? The Lakes I fish are so weedy that I'd think it would be futile to break out a spinner. You folks talk about spinners as though theyre disposable whereas I've had the same spinners for years. Perhaps I don't catch fish with them is because I don't take chances....knowing how expensive they can be.

Melvinp

When and where are you using spinners these days. I felt that the industry has moved to plastics. Do you only fish them on rivers only? The Lakes I fish are so weedy that I'd think it would be futile to break out a spinner. You folks talk about spinners as though theyre disposable whereas I've had the same spinners for years. Perhaps I don't catch fish with them is because I don't take chances....knowing how expensive they can be.
I fish a lot of spinners normally in the creek and river but have some plans on trolling with them in lakes that have trout.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy

I don't do much trout fishing lately but I use inline spinners for trout and smallmouth on streams / rivers. I do break out an inline spinner on the lake on days where I can't get a bite but it opens me up to catching anything from sunnies to "who knows". While that doesn't sound like a bad thing, when you're trying to catch Bass, sunnies can get annoying.

The .026 SS Wire I use on my inline spinners are pretty tough but I'll bend a spinner here and there. The hooks I use are a little flexible but I have broken off a point or two of a treble hook. I always cast upstream so the spinner needs to be heavy to get down to the bottom all the while reeling in on a high speed reel to keep it from snagging. I do not snag often but once in a while I'll snag too deep to retrieve so I will have to break off. I'd say on a good day, my spinner will make it through but I've had days where I'll go through 4-5 of them. I will recycle beads as well as blades if they are in good shape.

Don

I fish a lot of spinners normally in the creek and river but have some plans on trolling with them in lakes that have trout.
Yes, that is what I was thinking as well. I've been trolling with Beetle spins using various jigs and plastics. At this point the 2" kietech minnow or the beetle that comes with it is about the most productive. I'm thinking a regular white spinner would be deadly on Pickerel in early spring.