Kietec’ suck

Don

But they really catch fish. Last eve, just for fun, I trolled a 2” Kietec at dark. I couldnt hardly keep up with the demand. These things were flying off my shelf. Medium Pickerel, small bass, medium Gills and large Pumpkinseed. I was after Perch and Crappy but they were off celebrating the holiday. I was impressed as I was simply hooking them through the head of a #8 and chucking them. I used a 1/32 jig head and lost it to a pickerel. Since I was in 3’ of water and I did not need the Weight it made no difference wether I used a jig head or not. The reason for this post: you all remember how I hated plastics in general but am slowly learning to have some better results. When I use the paddle tail jobbers like, 4” keitech, I find they slip down the hook allot and need much attention. Do any of you use supper glue to keep the head of the Minnow up on the top of the hook? Is there another secret trick you might share. Are most of you putting these on spinner heads and fancy jigheads? Do u pause them, go slow or makem rip?

Solitario Lupo

I use a lot of just plain jig head. They can be painted whatever color you want. Plus they have a little lip (point) that the plastic will catch on. Then there are swimbait hooks where they have little springs on them. Sometimes just running a plain hook you can get a needle and thread the line threw the plastic and attach a treble or regular hook. A small treble is better if you do it that way. Then there are worm hooks that you put the eye of the hook threw the head and the hook point threw the back which it becomes kinda weedless. Some packages tell you different ways but I can’t remember any of the setup names.

Never tried super glue.

Solitario Lupo

As for fishing them. You can do a lot of different ways. Bounce them off the bottom. In the warmer water faster bigger bounce. Cooler waters slow smaller bounce. Sometimes I throw them out and just wind in slowly just keeping them off the bottom. Sometimes I wind fast getting them up to the surface and then stop to dive down. Sometimes I wind slower then pause wind pause wind pause. Anything to get a fish attracted to it.

Don

Crazy Kietech pilot, eh? ive been using 3/0 or 1 widegap hooks. Though I’ve used up to size 6 and still caught an occasional Gill. After the 10th chuck or after they’ve caught on weeds a few times they start becoming troublesome. I saw a guy online use what I thought was super glue. I like fishing on the bottom in somewhat weedy areas and the super glue sounded like a good trick and I wanted to ask members. I will probably copy you and get a few bigger sizes of jig hooks.

Solitario Lupo

I usually just run my curly tail grubs on plain hooks so I know what your saying. Even with all that special stuff they still get beating up after a couple fish attack them. So they can be a pain sometimes sliding around.

Don

Do you slide it around and onto the shank? With these little Kietech I merely pierced through them with a #8 bait hook. While not weedless there aren't any weeds on the main lake at Shahola. I assume there are plenty of weeds in the back.

pabassman

If using them on a dropshot I just nose hook them. On a jighead always use a drop of superglue.

Reactions: Don

Don

Do you us 3", 4" or other and are you moving when dropshotting?
Spinning reel or Baitcaster?

pabassman

I use 2 and 2.5" for panfish. 3" swing impact and 3" shad impact on a dropsot for bass. I do very well on a 3.5" swing and the 2.8 and 3.3" fat on various size heads. I use the 3.8 and sometimes the 4.3" fat for stripes and walleye. 3.3" fat is my most used on an A-rig.

Don

Looks like I have some homework to do. My goal for fall list to put Crappie and Perch into the freezer for winter.

Don

Crazy
As for fishing them. You can do a lot of different ways. Bounce them off the bottom. In the warmer water faster bigger bounce. Cooler waters slow smaller bounce. Sometimes I throw them out and just wind in slowly just keeping them off the bottom. Sometimes I wind fast getting them up to the surface and then stop to dive down. Sometimes I wind slower then pause wind pause wind pause. Anything to get a fish attracted to it.
Talk color, which colors?

Don

Is the really weedless enough. The guy that PABass sent me to set me up with wide gap hooks and I wish it had more weight. At the time, May, I was looking to catch nighttime Stripers and I didn't need any weight.
I like your presentation. I had allot of hits but no hook-ups on a 4" white paddle tail on a beetlespin. I had the impression that the hook was too far forward on the smaller jig I was using.
Oh boy this means I get to go shopping.

pabassman

Is the really weedless enough. The guy that PABass sent me to set me up with wide gap hooks and I wish it had more weight. At the time, May, I was looking to catch nighttime Stripers and I didn't need any weight.
I like your presentation. I had allot of hits but no hook-ups on a 4" white paddle tail on a beetlespin. I had the impression that the hook was too far forward on the smaller jig I was using.

What guy?

Don

your buddies up at Wallenpaupack Sport Shop. That was the first time I ever bought Kietech and I caught nothing that night. It wasn't the plastics it was me:ROFLMAO:

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy

I had the same question but these jigs are really nice. Tungsten and just the one wire lead is enough to keep me out of trouble.

You could always add a Bullet Weight above the EWG hook. Pin it with a bobber stop and even adjust the stop to find the perfect presentation.