Lake Erie steelhead

Solitario Lupo

12hrs of fishing found some holes that had fish and only a couple people fishing for them. Caught a bunch lost a bunch. Them fishy need more water bet a good number will swim up. Mostly anything egg was working.

Attachments

• 5D4EDB4C-9EFA-4914-9E34-1201D8C4FF75.jpeg
    5D4EDB4C-9EFA-4914-9E34-1201D8C4FF75.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 4

Don

New guy here Is the top one a Salmon or Lake trout and the bottom typical Rainbow?

A-5

Looks like NY sticks Washington strain. Ohio stocks Michigan strain and PA just collects what’s left over at the trout run

Don

There is some debate about that but yes. Aren't there specific stains of Bow that do that and other strains that don't?
I don't know but when I lived in Northern CA it was the thing to do. But of course I didn't live there long enough to learn more.

truecrimson

All of them would do it if they could. There are different sub species in different places with minor differences. But they are all rainbows if they live in small water and steelhead if they go to big water and return to small water to spawn.

Solitario Lupo

There is some debate about that but yes. Aren't there specific stains of Bow that do that and other strains that don't?
I don't know but when I lived in Northern CA it was the thing to do. But of course I didn't live there long enough to learn more.
Their are different strains of them. A5 already listed them up top.

A-5

So. Actual definition of steelhead is a rainbow that goes out to saltwater and returns to freshwater. Since ny and pa bows don’t do that whatever. The strains are taken from actual steelhead and they do what they do just not in salt. Now. Some debate that Ontario bows make it to salt who knows.