Leader

Don

63 yrs old. Still haven’t caught a giant Pickerel or any Northern.

I will.

Yesterday I went to a hot-spot where a number of folks recommended to me. This included MB3. Indeed I caught a 18” pickerel. But also I had hooked a giant.
Using large minnows I worked my way around the edges hitting all the trees and weed beds. Hooked up a few but landed one.
Do you remember me saying how smart I am for using 17 lb braid for bite tippet thinking that they couldn’t bite it through. Wrong. I got slammed and it went right on through. Snapped the line like thread. Must’ve been sizeable and with many big teeth.
Back to square not trusting braid anymore. Where do I go now. I was trying to remain transparent. Should I use wire or light leader cable, or 35 lb mono?
What would u do?
Sheila what did you use for leader on that Musky. Nappy what are u using for pike.

Don

Ain't go no bulb. I have very thin Bluefish wire leader but is it too visible?

Don

Was it you that told me not long ago. What do you use for those one in ten thousand cast musky?

Solitario Lupo

Was it you that told me not long ago. What do you use for those one in ten thousand cast musky?
I’ve learned my lesson when someone told me to use 10lb mono is all you need will after catching about 3 or 4 of them and just snapping right off I learned real quick.

Reactions: Don

Solitario Lupo

Melvin turned me on to it. I used some wire leaders that had the swivel but my stuff would just spin cause of it.
On my baitcaster I use 80lb braid. Even then I risk a big one cutting me off.

Don’t think you really need something this big in lbs wise.

Attachments

• BA1DC163-68D8-48EE-B4D7-56F99D9FA818.jpeg
    BA1DC163-68D8-48EE-B4D7-56F99D9FA818.jpeg
    995.4 KB · Views: 5

Don

I thought it was hard to see underwater, so it didn't last one bite from Mister Monster. Without making a purchase I guess I'll try the next thing. Which would you guys choose? I have bluefish wire and 35 lb Seaguar mono. Those are the choices without making a purchase.
It’s funny cause I’ve caught some line shy fish on it before.

Attachments

• shopping-1.png
    shopping-1.png
    17.1 KB · Views: 4
  • shopping.png
    shopping.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 3

Solitario Lupo

I wonder if fluorocarbon line would be better for ya. Never really had a pike bite me off before and only using 6lb line. I think my stuff is definitely an over kill for them. Even a wire leader but if you get a big one might save you from losing it.

pabassman

I've landed muskies on 6 or 8 pound mono while jigging for walleyes in the river. But I've lost way more than I've landed. Its more luck then anything with that tackle. Braid is the worst for toothies. A lot of the guys that fish for pike thru the ice say floro leader. Not line but leader material. I guess its made different. Check ice fishing sites for more info on what they do.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
We use 40lb Seguar Floro for gator blues. Their teeth are razor blades and the Floro gets the job done. You do have to be mindful to check for frays every few bites but I’d have to think it would stand up to a Muskie or Pike.

Don

I think Blues are the toughest lb for lb for bite-offs.
I've landed muskies on 6 or 8 pound mono while jigging for walleyes in the river. But I've lost way more than I've landed. Its more luck then anything with that tackle. Braid is the worst for toothies. A lot of the guys that fish for pike thru the ice say floro leader. Not line but leader material. I guess its made different. Check ice fishing sites for more info on what they do.
good thinking, will do.

Don

I have found there is not much of a consensus on leader and hook size. Oh Well!

pabassman

I have found there is not much of a consensus on leader and hook size. Oh Well!
Likely because few guy chase pickerel. At least not in open water. Ice guys say steel or floro. Hook size should be appropriate to bait/lure size

Melvinp

Ever person does different things sometimes they work sometimes they don’t but keep every note in your head if need be write it down no joke listen to uncle mel