Line and bite tippet

Don

1) I lined an old Mitchell Reel with 6lb Zebco line. It is a stiff 6lb line made for good reliability in Spincasters. The line falls of in clumps and gives the impression of an over-full reel but it not even full. Should I use a soft laying line for this app. something like the old XT or similar.

2) I've been using 17lb Braid as bite tippet and though I've mentioned this several times not one of you has commented on this practice. Shame on you all for the missed opportunity. I only do it for targeting Pickerel (everyones favorite). I was of the opinion that Bass and Pickerel are not leader shy. What say thee?

Solitario Lupo

I’m not into spin caster so really can’t help you on the first one.

As for the second it sounds silly but nothing wrong with it. If it catches fish and works for you than what’s wrong with it.

Some bass maybe (depends where your fishing). Pickerel not so much.

Don

I’m not into spin caster so really can’t help you on the first one.

As for the second it sounds silly but nothing wrong with it. If it catches fish and works for you than what’s wrong with it.

Some bass maybe (depends where your fishing). Pickerel not so much.
I can barely cut braid with my clippers so I figured it would make great tippet.

Solitario Lupo

Actually Don it's a lot easier to cut then you think. Cutting braid say with up and down motion like scissors is hard or clippers. What you want is a sharp edge and go side to side like slicing it. What's funny is people think it's really strong but fish it in some rocks it gets pretty beaten up. Bigger fish can cut you right off on a edge of a big rock.

HenryDavid

Do you guys burn the tag end of your braid knots? I take a lighter to it for a split second, helps prevent fraying.

Solitario Lupo

I usually just cut a little higher up then hurry up and tie a knot. There are times I’ve just burn the line when switching lures. A lot easier then cutting.

truecrimson

1) I lined an old Mitchell Reel with 6lb Zebco line. It is a stiff 6lb line made for good reliability in Spincasters. The line falls of in clumps and gives the impression of an over-full reel but it not even full. Should I use a soft laying line for this app. something like the old XT or similar.

2) I've been using 17lb Braid as bite tippet and though I've mentioned this several times not one of you has commented on this practice. Shame on you all for the missed opportunity. I only do it for targeting Pickerel (everyones favorite). I was of the opinion that Bass and Pickerel are not leader shy. What say thee?
I've seen old line with a lot of memory do that on spinning reels. Me and spincasters don't always get along.

Using a much heavier line as a bite tippet is an old practice that both Zane Grey and Nick Lyons have mentioned. That means it dates back to at least the 1920s and was still being done by the 70's and 80's. You are in good company.

As for the missed opportunity, we know you are older than Jesus, but somewhat younger than dirt so we just figured maybe you knew what you were doing and we should remain silent and be thought fools rather than speak and remove all doubt ;)