Line Length

Don

I'm in a new category these days with the increased use of Baitcast and spincast reels. Compared to my spinning reels they hold only 1/3 of the same line on a comparable strength spinning reel. I don't, or rather I haven't, caught big fish...period...maybe 5lbs. Never have I had more than 50 feet get pulled off the reel.
I've always thought it was a waste to fill the spinning reels with 300 yards of 4 or 6 lb mono knowing that the inner 200 yards will never be used. BC and SC reels seem more reasonable @ 80-125 yds. depending...What are your thoughts on this. Have you had fish spool your Baitcasters?
Once again:
What do you Do?

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
300! Are you using the wrong spinning reels for the line weight / purpose you are using? As an example, my Ci3000 is rated for 8# mono at 170 yards. Sure, if I put 4# on it, I could probably get close to 300 yards but going to a 1000 series reel might be more appropriate for targeting fish that require 4#.

Anyways, I know that was not your real question so no, I have not been spooled. I, or should I say "we" caught a 100# shark a couple of years ago on 30# braid on a Shimano SLX bait casting reel. That thing took a half hour to get in so 3 of us took turns. I hate sharks! Also, that large flathead I caught this spring was also caught on a baitcaster with 10# floro. He had to be at least 40#'s and he never got more than 15 yards away from me.

There is one caveat to the above experiences though, they were both from a boat. In a boat, you can get away with less as the boat will aid in the drag and current. Had I hooked that shark or flathead from shore, there is no way they would have come in with that equipment. In the shark instance, at least double, maybe more and the Flathead, at least 30 if not more.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
FWIW and a laugh for A-5, I have been spooled with a spinning reel. Stupid King went under a log and downstream LOL. I had a decision to make, swim under the log in very cold water and chase it down or try to battle it out....I lost but I did stay dry. ;)

Solitario Lupo

So I’ve done a bunch of things. One thing was I put all the line I can on. Then the line that never gets used I have left as a backing and just tied same lb test to it just made it new a couple good yards. Just to use line up. Some I will under spool. Any big rods or (river fishing, lake) where I can’t move and get a big fish on I’ll spool it up all the way.

This is my spinning gear setup.
My BC. Is spooled up all the way with mono backing then braid.

Reactions: Don

Don

Keep Talking Everyone. I want to hear from the folks that catch normal sized fish as well.

Don

So I’ve done a bunch of things. One thing was I put all the line I can on. Then the line that never gets used I have left as a backing and just tied same lb test to it just made it new a couple good yards. Just to use line up. Some I will under spool. Any big rods or (river fishing, lake) where I can’t move and get a big fish on I’ll spool it up all the way.

This is my spinning gear setup.
My BC. Is spooled up all the way with mono backing then braid.
Ever Switch ends on braid line?

truecrimson

Spinning, I put on as much as I can. I will break off enough or cut off enough that it will all get used. I'm as new as you with bait casters and have 1 fish so far, so no data there.

Don

I'm careful not to go past 1/8th inch from outside of spool. otherwise anything I add past that fall of in handfuls for the first day.

Melvinp

On my spin rod the bottom half will probably never see the water I will run them down to about the 3/4 mark then replace the line(I rarely use braid) if they get lower than that it really affects the casting.I’ve never been spooled but I have broken fish off that I couldn’t handle

Melvinp

Lol brake a fish off on purpose gotta be crazy well tie a 100 dollar fly line to a 30 pound king that’s swimming down stream in a heavy current

Don

I don't know anything of the type of fishing where the fish just runs and runs. I feel like backing would help me to get two reels out of the smaller 150 yard rolls of 40 lb braid.