Line size

Solitario Lupo

I do both. A tippet would be for fly fishing and a leader would be for spin or baitcaster. I attach a small barrel swivel then the leader. For trout I use 4lb fluoro stren line. I use for a tippet or use for leader.

Solitario Lupo

No it actually goes fly line leader then tippet. The leader is thicker then the tippet. I never actually got into just called tippets. I always, when I started just ran a leader then tied on that. The leader was tapered so you tie so far up then had to get rid of the leader so a tippet saves you from doing this.

Don

Very sensitive. I better tip-toe around those comments.
Some of the guys seem a bit upity to me.

Josey. The "Leader" is the medium whereby one switcheth from the running line (that which fills thy reel) to the presentation line (tippet). Most guys, when they say they are using leader are actually using standard line as tippet. The X signifies that it is non-tapered and is rated in pounds and thickness. This is a tough concept for thine colleagues to graspeth. But these nuanced differences do mean something. Having learned these higher attributes one becomes enlightened. Then you'll know what it feels like to be Melvin.

Don

I add 18"-36" of tippet to my running line divided with some type of swivel. 6x, 4x,3x doesn't matter as long as it is lighter than the running line.

josey12340

Ok. I fly fish a little bit. I have used "tippet" and I have just tied on leader. I'm not much of a fly fisherman though but as my wife likes to say if there is a water or a season I have the fishing equipment or the gun to use for it. Lol.

A-5

I add 18"-36" of tippet to my running line divided with some type of swivel. 6x, 4x,3x doesn't matter as long as it is lighter than the running line.
That statement is true. But what I will tell you is. Line manufacturers are idiots and lie about breaking strength all the time that is why you must test each leader line to see what actual breaking point is. So the big lie in line is. The formula. Line size, breaking size, they lie all liars. Drennan says it’s 6lb is thicker, so we in that world call 6lb drennan 8-10lb. Blue label is as small of diameter to true breaking strength there is bottom line.

Don

Oh boy, you’re right. It also is a benefit to not change brands because of that very fact.
the only reason I use Rio Tippet is that I already have it on me. Otherwise I’d use regular line. On spincast reels that don’t occilate stretch line is a bad thing as it causes binds when a lunker is caught.

Melvinp

Never understood why I would fluro my reel. It’s expensive and breaks before mono. 12lb mono I uni knot a fluro leader and never had a issue. Fluro breaks before mono it does not streatch it break. Mono stretches. I like the shock absorber. Steelhead is 10-12 with 6lb leader blue label. I don loose shot lines or bobbers by downsizing line. Bass I do throw topwater with braid. 8-12lb mono on my bass stuff. Fluro is only needed at 18” to the bait. Rest is worthless
I can a little bit using 4lds floro on my ultra light and 6 on my light kinda a pain always adding to my tippet (I tie enough knots on the fly)anything heavier then maybe a tippet

Reactions: A-5

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Just an example of floro. Yesterday I was at my local reservoir deep in a cove on the banks. I had worked close in, no bites, kept clocking the area out further and further until finally I casted near the limits of my setup and then it was game on. They were hitting my offering on the fall, on slack line. I have always been a line watcher, an idle bass will just suck in your bait and not even move after, you’ll see that very small bounce in your line and you know to set the hook.

With that amount of line out and slack, seeing is not always an option, especially with glare but floro transferred that ever so small tick and I knew to immediately set the hook which netted me 5 LM in 25 minutes to satisfy the itch. In prior years using mono or braid, I know I would have landed maybe 2 and walked away telling myself they were not there today or they just weren’t biting.

Melvinp

Very sensitive. I better tip-toe around those comments.
Some of the guys seem a bit upity to me.

Josey. The "Leader" is the medium whereby one switcheth from the running line (that which fills thy reel) to the presentation line (tippet). Most guys, when they say they are using leader are actually using standard line as tippet. The X signifies that it is non-tapered and is rated in pounds and thickness. This is a tough concept for thine colleagues to graspeth. But these nuanced differences do mean something. Having learned these higher attributes one becomes enlightened. Then you'll know what it feels like to be Melvin.
Don’t bring me into this I’m a big on one end and small at the other no matter what anyone calls it it helps on the cast and what the fish can’t see lol

Don

In most cases the tippet is tied to the leader because tipped material is much more supple.as where leader material is much more stiff
plus it is more rated by thickness, which is why it rarely mentions lbs on the label.

HenryDavid

Oh boy, you’re right. It also is a benefit to not change brands because of that very fact.
the only reason I use Rio Tippet is that I already have it on me. Otherwise I’d use regular line. On spincast reels that don’t occilate stretch line is a bad thing as it causes binds when a lunker is caught.
I love Rio tippet, too bad they have priced themselves so high, Umqua and some
generic brands are more reasonably priced.

Reactions: Don

Don

I buy it reasonably but the biggest reason I stopped buying any other bran is that most of these brands lock into each other but will not lock into other brands. So I picked Rio because it is the most plentiful in our area. Easy to buy the same brand everywhere I go.