Little more trolling tackle

Melvinp

Well did learn a little about trolling before the freeze perch/ gill .5 to 1 mph. Callico 1 to 1.5 give or take bass 2 mph trout (local) drift still got a lot to learn

Melvinp

Have you trolled before? I’d rather pick scabs off my fishing partners feet. Not for me.
Lol if you’re going to fish water that’s bigger than your attitude you better start trolling lmbo as for picking scabs that’s all about you 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Bootfoot

I remember wayback in the day when I got my first boat and I couldn’t wait to troll. After the second maybe third trip out all I could think about was what the hell was I thinking. I still have the downriggers in my shed. At least I think they are still in there, they should be in there, I just haven’t seen them in a while. I wonder where I put those releases. I’m not even sure why I’ve been storing them all these years. I did have planer boards but I gave them away years ago. I still use dipseys for shad but I’m anchored and sitting still. Do you guys prefer your scabs ripped off fast without warning or slow and meticulous?

Melvinp

I remember wayback in the day when I got my first boat and I couldn’t wait to troll. After the second maybe third trip out all I could think about was what the hell was I thinking. I still have the downriggers in my shed. At least I think they are still in there, they should be in there, I just haven’t seen them in a while. I wonder where I put those releases. I’m not even sure why I’ve been storing them all these years. I did have planer boards but I gave them away years ago. I still use dipseys for shad but I’m anchored and sitting still. Do you guys prefer your scabs ripped off fast without warning or slow and meticulous?
Give it a yank gives you something to pick at when it comes back over and over again kinda like trolling you won’t learn if you don’t try over and over again

Don

I have so much to learn. While you were thinking back and forth and back and forth with complicated tackle I had simpler stuff in mind. I let the boat drift down the wind and I motor back up the wind. All the time I have one or two rods In a rod holder or two. I am in shallow water most of the time so I haven’t needed weight yet. If it is really dead wind wise I use bait for those rods and bobbers plus I cast to structure. This summrer I will be after deeper fish in deeper water 💦 no downrigger and no planers.

Melvinp

I have so much to learn. While you were thinking back and forth and back and forth with complicated tackle I had simpler stuff in mind. I let the boat drift down the wind and I motor back up the wind. All the time I have one or two rods In a rod holder or two. I am in shallow water most of the time so I haven’t needed weight yet. If it is really dead wind wise I use bait for those rods and bobbers plus I cast to structure. This summrer I will be after deeper fish in deeper water 💦 no downrigger and no planers.
1oz of weight will give you approximately 10 ft of additional depth speed and distance do apply of course. I like to drift heavier hair jigs keeping the line as straight down as I can but sometimes I’ve seen my drift be well over 1 mph and it’s hard to get the jig straight down.If your drifting pretty fast with a bobber just let more line out between your bobber and your bait to help compensate for your speed keeping your bait in the zone you want

Last edited:

Don

I will test your math while my scabs re-form. It makes allot of sense. I saw a guy on YouTube using 2oz eggs at 20' deep for walleye. 1-1.5mph. I had a guy at l Cabellas tell me to do that at Merrill Creek for Lakers.

Melvinp

I will test your math while my scabs re-form. It makes allot of sense. I saw a guy on YouTube using 2oz eggs at 20' deep for walleye. 1-1.5mph. I had a guy at l Cabellas tell me to do that at Merrill Creek for Lakers.
The problem that happens is that eventually you have some much weight on your line that you not only are you fighting a fish your fighting the weight that’s where down riggers and divers come into play. There’s also snap weights that seem to be a very good idea to me that’s if you have a fishing partner

Reactions: Don

Melvinp

When your ready to call got junk just give me a yell lol

Reactions: Don

Don

Uncle Melvin youre slippin. We are waiting with great anticipation for you to take this string further. If your lessons don't pick up again TrueCrimson may form a coup and attempt to learn us more. I saw a video where a guy is using 1 or 2 oz egg to sink his lures to basically the Thermocline level. He trolls with line counter bait cast reels at slow speeds with the rods in tilted out rod holders. I will try to find that video.