long worms for bass

Don

I bought these at the state fairgrounds in Iowa. The guy told me they're the best to drag over mat. The reel is shown for scale.

Attachments

• IMG_2675.JPG
    IMG_2675.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 7

truecrimson

Bass love to eat snakes. Especially young ones.

Years ago there was a photo that made the rounds of big bass someone in a kayak had caught that had a live rattlesnake in it's mouth.

Don

The guy also said to use 6/0 - 10/0 wide gap worm hook, Texas rigged with only a 1/4 oz -3/8 oz weight. He didn't ask about pegging the weight and I forgot to ask.
I simply can't believe the sizes of the lures that they use for Bass and Pike in the south.and also up central north.

Don

Well that would be a possibility but this was Iowa and he was talking about fishing the Mississippi which was frozen thickly....Maybe they're bigger maybe not...maybe they are just more used to eating large baits and foods due to the massive availability of food there.

WADMAN

Bass love to eat snakes. Especially young ones.

Years ago there was a photo that made the rounds of big bass someone in a kayak had caught that had a live rattlesnake in it's mouth.
I remember that. He said the snake was swimming around his yak trying to get out of the water onto it! He caught it and used it as live bait!

Solitario Lupo

The guy also said to use 6/0 - 10/0 wide gap worm hook, Texas rigged with only a 1/4 oz -3/8 oz weight. He didn't ask about pegging the weight and I forgot to ask.
I simply can't believe the sizes of the lures that they use for Bass and Pike in the south.and also up central north.
6/0 ,10/0 hook sounds like a lot of eye hooks for bass. Not good for catch and release.

As for lures I’m guessing you think there big but for someone who doesn’t believe in big lures equals big fish won’t get it lol. 10inch lures is small for some of those fast growing fish.

Don

I don’t believe there is any increase in eye damage. Let’s open this up for discussion.

Members please comment.

HenryDavid

I think smallmouth bass are more liable to want smaller lures, largemouths will eat anything. There was a story I remember as a kid, another kid lived near Shady Side Lake and his claim was that he witnessed a giant largemouth jump up and take a flying duck right out of the air, maybe,..it's true,.. ;)