Making poppers

Melvinp

You can eliminate the white showing near the hook eye if you paint the face before you glue the body on the hook. Got rushing

Reactions: Don

Nappy

My version of the moodah poodah.
I use it for dropper rigs for trout and smallies and panfish hammer it. Crappie and largemouth also20210414_205339_HDR.jpg20210414_205311.jpg

Melvinp

Not a 100% happy but getting sick to my stomach of them lol would rather tell everyone the problems I had making them then how they actually came out soooo

Last edited:

Melvinp

#1 I got kits and the hooks that came with the kit are to big I went from a #1 to a #4. #2 was paint lol paint them before you glue to the hook they will stay put on a hook good enough to paint if not you get painted hook eyes #3 Epoxy well you want 70 + degrees so the epoxy flows good and doesn’t lump up no matter Uv or standard it takes days to really dry under low temp conditions + 70 really helps #4 tails to much to little well that’s up to you but I did use hollow deer tail in the tail to help with buoyancy. Way to much work I better catch something on them but of course they all work for the right fish at the right time

Don

You didn't start tying cause you're a responsible citizen. You started because its fun so figure it out. You should see the Black Ghost Streamers I tied tonight. Somehow they didn't look like Black Ghosts. But is was fun. I'm sure they will catch Gills......anything catches gills.

Melvinp

My version of the moodah poodah.
I use it for dropper rigs for trout and smallies and panfish hammer it. Crappie and
So is it worth making them or spending about $3 a piece?
Well a ten pack popper kit is about 6 bucks,epoxy about 5 for 5 grams of Uv,paint probably 2.50,deer hair lets say 3 dollars so 10 poppers about 16.50 for 10 + time probably 3 days by the time paint and glue drys and if they fall apart or sink you can only blame yourself lol and that’s for 1 color

Reactions: Don

HenryDavid

I was looking at popper kits yesterday, wondering if I could make them, they were mostly just body & hooks.

Solitario Lupo

You should be able to make them. I rather even pay more to make it myself and get the pleasure on it, catching something.

Plus you always know how to make another one if you really need it.