MelvinP's fly that would not die

HenryDavid

Quickly running out of wully buggers for my early spring streamer fishing for trout I tied on one of MelvinP's buggers. We need a name for this bugger, I think it's an olive like purple flash or maybe a "King Crimson" bugger.
MelvinP-Olive-purple flash.jpg
MelP bugger II.jpg

I caught several trout with this fly on Sunday and with water flowing in this small creek I went back on Monday and had an epic day.
A 17 1/2 in bow right off the bat, 2 browns, more bows, then a screamer that threw the hook, all that and about 15 more snags with the now famous MelvinP creation "The fly that would not die".
20210412_105758.jpg
20210412_113217.jpg
20210412_140844.jpg
Brushy, bushy creek
20210412_132115.jpg
20210412_122832.jpg
It was either stuck on bottom in heavy current in a bush across the raging creek or in the trees up above, but I somehow managed to retrieve it every time, until,...

The final resting place of said bugger
20210412_132140.jpg
It was from under that log where a big trout grabbed bugger and went absolutely crazy, head shakes, leaps and a final run under the log, but then he shook the hook, I got it back again. But I thought there might be another one down there and caught bottom and could not muster the balls to go into that deep run to try and get it, a few tugs and it was gone 😩

Time for Bugger #2 MelvinP's maroon flash

20210412_141018.jpg
I caught a couple more on this maroon version then the streamer action died out, so I tried nymphing, which I suck at but wanted to get some practice. If you know the name of this caddis type nymph please fill me in, cuz I lost it shortly after,...
20210412_175323.jpg
I got lucky with this monster brown trout,

I have one crappy photo of this trout but site won't let me attach anymore, but the trout went 24-inches, had to be released as this is DHALO waters. I will post the pic in another thread. So I drifted through the pool a few more times and could not believe that I connected with another pig trout, this time a rainbow but after a short battle he threw the hook, great day on the stream, thanks MelvinP for the flies.

Don

HD it is a Pheasant Tail Nymph. Maybe even a soggy Flashback Pheasant tail. I makes the perfect dropper under a Prince or Caddis.

Don

What are you suggesting A-5? Soft Hackle or parachute? I assume you mean for top fly?

HenryDavid

HD it is a Pheasant Tail Nymph. Maybe even a soggy Flashback Pheasant tail. I makes the perfect dropper under a Prince or Caddis.
After a closer look at the photo it appears to be barbless and I generally don't use or buy barbless hook flies. I'm pretty sure this one I found in one of the trees along the creek, I have found several this season. I was looking for something in the form of a caddis and many of them have the blackish blob near the top, behind the beadhead. I do not recall that it had a tail. From the pic it looks like a tail but that could be the thread coming undun or some debris, grass, weeds, that I picked up. The only reason I took the photo in the 1st place was because it was the one that the big brown took.
Caddis pupa nymph.jpg

It certainly has the body of a pheasant tail.

Don

Perfect. Thanks. Looks like a Steelhead color though. Are you sure local trout will hit it?

Henry David its a pheasant tail bb_pheasant_tail.jpg
or flashback. tungsten_beadhead_flashback_pheasant_tail_soft_hackle.jpgIts just beat up and distorted a bit. This family is legendary, as it Prince and Adams.

The caddis has a casing type of tail (below). Those and copper johns are also good. Knock'em Dead.
Caddis_Emerger_Lawson_Tan__76396.1574279177.jpgCaddis_Emerger_Lawson_Tan__76396.1574279177.jpg

HenryDavid

Perfect. Thanks. Looks like a Steelhead color though. Are you sure local trout will hit it?

Henry David its a pheasant tail View attachment 393
or flashback. View attachment 394Its just beat up and distorted a bit. This family is legendary, as it Prince and Adams.

The caddis has a casing type of tail (below). Those and copper johns are also good. Knock'em Dead.
View attachment 395View attachment 395
Hi Don, I respectfully disagree. The fly had no tail when I tied it on. I agree the body resembles that of a traditional pheasant tail but the lack of said tail says caddis nymph to me. The photo of the caddis you posted is a great caddis emerger pattern with the shuck trail. I think the fly I posted was a beadhead brown caddis larva nymph.
6 Hare's Ear Caddis Larva Trout Flies. Euro Nymph. Fly | Etsy

Solitario Lupo

Not to step in here, you guys go at it haha. Looks to me in the last pic you posted it is pretty beat up. Looks like there’s a strand of something that used to be part of a tail. Sometimes the tails can get pulled or broken off. Is the thread and wire coming off.

That’s probably why the fly worked so well. It’s be beaten up.

HenryDavid

Not to step in here, you guys go at it haha. Looks to me in the last pic you posted it is pretty beat up. Looks like there’s a strand of something that used to be part of a tail. Sometimes the tails can get pulled or broken off. Is the thread and wire coming off.

That’s probably why the fly worked so well. It’s be beaten up.
Fly is gone to a tree, photo was taken after a big brown trout chewed on it and also after being found (by me) in a different tree. I was looking in the fly box for a caddis nymph imitation and picked this fly, if it had a tail I wouldn't have picked it, lol. By the time the pic was taken the thread was coming off the body plus I had some strands of grass or weeds in my hand.

I had guys on PaFlyFish.com that said it was a specialty Euro Nymph o_O

Don

Haha, made you say "respectfully to me"! Benefit of age......

Either way your gonna fish it like a euro nymph, Pheasant tail, copper John, and so forth. Good find. I was reading that thread as the comments came in and they're all good. Do you Tie?

HenryDavid

No I don't tie, I tried several years ago and it didn't work out well. My fingers are too clumsy I guess. The responses on PaFlyFish.com say Euro nymph with a pheasant tail body so you were not far off

Reactions: Don

Don

No I don't tie, I tried several years ago and it didn't work out well. My fingers are too clumsy I guess. The responses on PaFlyFish.com say Euro nymph with a pheasant tail body so you were not far off
You see where Affish and others mentioned all the same type of family. These are easy to tie. And they all fish the same way.
sol mentioned zebra midge. With or without the wire makes it a Zebra or not. Either way I’d also get a collection of midges, pheasant tails, caddis and frenchies. Sizes 16-24. Use two on a tippet. 15” apart.