Micro Crankbaits

Don

Anyone using or have used these micros for spring trout, panfish or smallmouth? I have maybe five or so and they look like something useful especially pre-spawn. They look fun for ultralight 1674652085348.jpeg

truecrimson

Nothing like those. But I will use the smallest Rapalas and Rebels and similar things that I can get my hands on. Floating, suspending, diving, countdown, etc.

I will keep an eye out for those and pick some up to try if I see them anywhere.

Don

Nothing like those. But I will use the smallest Rapalas and Rebels and similar things that I can get my hands on. Floating, suspending, diving, countdown, etc.

I will keep an eye out for those and pick some up to try if I see them anywhere.
Yes I hope to work these hard early for Perch and Crappy.

Last edited:

Blackcat Outdoors

This ☝️

Tiny rapalas and especially the rebel teeny craw are staples of mine for trout and smallies. Especially on smaller bodies of water.

Don

I’ve had some good success with the tiny countdowns and regular Rapala.

Blackcat Outdoors

Yes but must have Hemostats as they do get way down there. Do you pinch the barbs?
Anything I'm fishing for trout, I crush the barbs or switch out for barbless hooks. I don't ever keep anything (I don't even like trout truthfully) so it's just easier on them that way. If I'm targeting little smallies they'll work too. I don't worry about the bigger smallies. Hemo's down the gullet and they usually will make it, if they swallow a lure. If I'm specifically targeting them, I use bigger baits anyways.

truecrimson

Oh and I have a ton of hemostats. Has nothing to do with working in healthcare. I swear. They fell off a truck. ;)

Last edited:

truecrimson

Now that I think about it, I've never had a fish swallow a lure. One of the reasons I stopped using wire leaders was that I kept catching pickerel and they always had the lure stuck in the edge of the mouth. Their teeth never even contacted the line. Even the big ones never swallowed any tiny lures. Same with bass.

The only fish I have seen fully swallow something are sunfish swallowing tiny hooks with live bait.

I don't think I've seen a hard lure in any of the autopsy videos where they show all the soft plastics in bass stomachs. It will probably take you about 30 seconds on YouTube to find one. But I have not yet seen one.

Reactions: Don

Don

Anything I'm fishing for trout, I crush the barbs or switch out for barbless hooks. I don't ever keep anything (I don't even like trout truthfully) so it's just easier on them that way. If I'm targeting little smallies they'll work too. I don't worry about the bigger smallies. Hemo's down the gullet and they usually will make it, if they swallow a lure. If I'm specifically targeting them, I use bigger baits anyways.
I think I’ll do the same. Last year I put a 2” Rapala onto the end and proceeded to catch many smallies and Rockbass. It was not fun removing all those hooks. Have you ever replaced the trebles with single hooks? Some folks are doing that on the net. But it doesn’t seem very popular.

Don

I just bought a few micro lures, a micro popper and a micro crank bait for trout and panfish. I'm actually enjoying panfish on ultra light gear more and more.
MB3 what line weight and are you using an ultralight rod?

Don

Now that I think about it, I've never had a fish swallow a lure………It will probably take you about 30 seconds on YouTube to find one. But I have not yet seen one.
You need to get out more. Did we set dates yet?

Don

Collecting is fun and easy. Finding time to use them is the tough part. So far it is a nice little collection of Mini’s.

Attachments

• 6BDC7B2D-8C24-4DB6-B329-FC23B52C6940.jpeg
    6BDC7B2D-8C24-4DB6-B329-FC23B52C6940.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Blackcat Outdoors

I think I’ll do the same. Last year I put a 2” Rapala onto the end and proceeded to catch many smallies and Rockbass. It was not fun removing all those hooks. Have you ever replaced the trebles with single hooks? Some folks are doing that on the net. But it doesn’t seem very popular.
Never tried the single hook. I've seen it done before though.

Reactions: Don