Minnow Buckets for the worthy

Don

Minnows have been dying in schools due to the environments they've had to endure while in fishermen's possession. What have you seen in the way of minnow buckets where the hoses won't fall of, the batteries are rechargeable and the fish will live through a long long warm day. Oh, did I mention, also needs to be affordable as It will rarely get used.
Years ago I only used styrofoam buckets and the minnows lasted quite long. I'm told that styrofoam infuses oxygen into the water. The key is to not over fill it.
I want to learn more and I hope you all will solve the issues listed above.

Grem you go first.....Grem? Yo Grem!

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
This one is out of my realm as I do not use minnows but I am always amazed at how minnows survive in those styrofoam canisters that are in bait vending machines. A friend uses them when we crappie fish and there is some kind of pellet or crystal in the water and they remain fine for weeks in those machines.

Reactions: Don

Solitario Lupo

I don't like foam as it's hard to clean and can carry disease.
To cool can always put ice in them.
Run an aerator.
Clean out water at least twice a day. No chlorine water.
Get a bucket if you have a Lot of them. Like a couple dozen or so.

Melvinp

I have a full size cooler that I tapped the drain hole and screwed a 1/4 in pipe threaded fitting into and hooked my bubbler onto that works very well but is big and very heavy when full of water.

Reactions: Don

Don

Reel Mountain man you are Melvin. Why no use the bait well on your boat?

truecrimson

Minnows have been dying in schools due to the environments they've had to endure while in fishermen's possession. What have you seen in the way of minnow buckets where the hoses won't fall of, the batteries are rechargeable and the fish will live through a long long warm day. Oh, did I mention, also needs to be affordable as It will rarely get used.
Years ago I only used styrofoam buckets and the minnows lasted quite long. I'm told that styrofoam infuses oxygen into the water. The key is to not over fill it.

I use the one Grem uses. Because he got me into minnows and he swears by it. So far it has worked better than any of the other buckets I have tried, including those that go in the water themselves. It's a Frabill, I think, with a built in aerator. When I bought it I bought a bigger diffuser. Uses 2 or 4 double A's depending on how long you want it to last. If you want rechargeable Buy rechargeable double A's. I superglued the tubing on when I got tired of it falling off. When not fishing I put the whole bucket in the fridge to keep it nice and cold.

Most bait shops keep their water very cold. They also sell little oxygen tablets that you can drop in the water to hyper oxygenate it. I find the cold to be more effective than the oxygen tabs. If you want to drop ice in be sure to get separate ice cube trays and use aquarium dechlorinater on the water so you don't accidently chlorinate them as it melts.

At the end of fishing for winter I put the leftovers in my 40 gallon aquarium that Morsel used to be in. every night i say to them "Goodnight Leftovers. Sleep well. I'll most likely put a sunfish in with you in the morning." Once they are in there I can't bear to fish with them and they become pets.

Hah! Here it is

Solitario Lupo

Run an electric aerator when your not out in the waters. Then just buy a rechargeable battery with the stations. You can get a cheapo at Wal-Mart.

Gremcat

Who ever said I use minnows?!?

I have the flip style with floating tray which is nice but they don’t do great. I have the various bubbling buckets and if you throw the blue pellets in they last a long time.
I have the metal oval style I like a lot but it’s hit or miss on losing some.

Best thing I’ve found after murdering hundreds of thousands? Quality of fish, don’t mix shiners w fatheads most of the time, if you find a shop that keeps them in a pond those things will live forever.

Short term tricks like fridge, the little thick foam cup with press lids can hold 6 big fatheads with some of the blue chips/pellets. Local guy does it in vending machine. Place in Hazleton sells from a auto garage. He must not keep his as cool as others. He puts in sandwich machine on weekends in tiny bags and they live a long time. I keep 1/2 lbs of shiners or fatheads in a huge cooler with a bubbler and blue pellets.

Now on temp, down south i always put them in ice water. That hasn’t been very effective in PA. Not sure why but suspect the water gets a little to cold and then they get shocked. A little ice in aerated bucket does help but have to be careful.

If I’m gone a week or two I took my old fridge and drilled a hole in the side. I pass the airline through it and keep a cooler in there so large I have to pull it out to open it.

If just garage temp just change 3 gals of water every few days, scoop the few dead ones and they should last a few weeks or more. I have had them inexplicably die but it’ll happen multiple batches from one shop. Bait shops aren’t all equal. The place they don’t survive well is also the place that runs a lot of volume by a lake. You’d think they turn them faster but the little garage they are hardier. The guy with pond full is out past Tuscarora and a long drive.

So I like the bait up container but they don’t last long in there and need constant fresh water changes. The Tin can is another favorite but they splash onto your clothes. I keep meaning to cut a foam insert for that one. The longest lasting for all day is the bubbling buckets but,,,,, but,,,, put a much larger cooler in your vehicle if multistopping and dump any left in bucket back in cooler.

Oxygen and keeping their metabolism low enough to minimize water degradation is key. I never repeat never feed them. Even if I have them a month and I do often.

Gremcat

I’m also not like others here, Boat rich with a half dozen custom live wells so can’t comment there. Places I go I’d be mountain goating said live wells so kind of non-starter.

Bubbler buckets stink in one way. I throw them in tote to keep water from going all over. They eat batteries like fat kids eat Twinkie’s.

Gremcat

I use the one Grem uses. Because he got me into minnows and he swears by it. So far it has worked better than any of the other buckets I have tried, including those that go in the water themselves. It's a Frabill, I think, with a built in aerator. When I bought it I bought a bigger diffuser. Uses 2 or 4 double A's depending on how long you want it to last. If you want rechargeable Buy rechargeable double A's. I superglued the tubing on when I got tired of it falling off. When not fishing I put the whole bucket in the fridge to keep it nice and cold.

Most bait shops keep their water very cold. They also sell little oxygen tablets that you can drop in the water to hyper oxygenate it. I find the cold to be more effective than the oxygen tabs. If you want to drop ice in be sure to get separate ice cube trays and use aquarium dechlorinater on the water so you don't accidently chlorinate them as it melts.

At the end of fishing for winter I put the leftovers in my 40 gallon aquarium that Morsel used to be in. every night i say to them "Goodnight Leftovers. Sleep well. I'll most likely put a sunfish in with you in the morning." Once they are in there I can't bear to fish with them and they become pets.

Hah! Here it is
Gotta start reading in order instead of backwards. TC has you covered.