Modern and Dept. Store reel?

Don

I have recently acquired a reel that, in spite of my dislike for modern department store combo reels, I'm thinking of adding it to my spring panfish lineup:

Shimano R2000 AX 2000 Dyna Balance Quick Fire II

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_2604.JPG
    IMG_2604.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 8

truecrimson

It will work. I have several similar, but I think they are slightly different. Mine are a bit slow for my liking but functional. Their big advantage was that they were inexpensive and reliable.

Reactions: Don

A-5

I hate quick fire! That half turn drives me nuts. The only thing that drives me nuttier is casting right hand and switching hands and reeling right.

Don

My goodness youre a mess. Why on earth switch hands. Why not buy the correct reel in the first place. Due to surgery I'm completely Amber Dextrose.
At least TC likes it.

Reactions: A-5

Melvinp

I liked the quick fire when it first came out but that half reel eventually got to me too lost a few fish from not having it locked back in its top location that half reel coming back at me on a hook set

Reactions: A-5

truecrimson

I don't actually use the quick fire feature much. I just open and close the bail manually like any other reel.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I had one of them many years ago. I liked that quick fire feature. I’m pretty sure that was the gimmick that made me buy it. Lol. The lack of anti-reverse didn’t bother me, I used it for dead sticking.

Don

I liked them back in the day. When in my twenties I was always in a hurry and I found them fast to cast.

A-5

Throwing it is fine. When I throw and lift the rod to either set the hook like MelvinP said or to jig the thing slams back a half turn.

Don

Oh no. Its a quick fire, huh, I know something you don't know? Wow that feels good. Look closely...there ia a lever on the bail. You have the option to open the bail the way you are used to or you grab the lever with your index fingy it opens the bail and you snag the line all at once. This feature makes spinning reel casting a one-handed op and the other hand can remain on the crank. Those of us that spent allot of years with pushbutton reels like this feature.

Attachments

• IMG_2606.JPG
    IMG_2606.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 0

Solitario Lupo

So that’s what that funny lever is called on one of my spinning reel. Never used it. If you know a spinning reel you should never wind in to lock your bail. You should always close it yourself.

Solitario Lupo

This feature makes spinning reel casting a one-handed op and the other hand can remain on the crank. Those of us that spent allot of years with pushbutton reels like this feature.
How do you cast with one hand and with the other on the crank. Haha. Sounds like a hard cast to do. ;)

Don

Practice dear sir. About locking your bail. If your reel is serviced and of any quality you always close the bail by turning the crank. otherwise chuck it, lol.

Last edited:

Don

Ohh gosh...Harumph...I've been mistreating my line all these years because I kept my hand on the crank.

pabassman

I had two of those years ago. I cast left handed so the trigger wasnt in the best position. I took them off. Still wasnt a fan of not having instant anti reverse. And never close the bail using the handle. Always flip it shut by hand.