Moon Lake

Don

Yes, I want to know how deep it is and it trout hold over there. I like another lake, a Pocono lake called Upper Woods Pond. Only 80 acres but also 80' deep and trout do hold over.

pabassman

I'm reasonably close, 20 miles? or so. Never on my goto list. All my info is from others I know that visit there. Trout struggle to make it thru the summer, not a great population of anything. Occcasional giant bass. Crappie can be ok thru the ice can be decent but spotty.

Don

I would normally agree but today I read the biologists report and it mentioned it as being a warm water species lake. I heard that said about upper woods Pond as well but It is entrophic and so the holdovers can always find cold water.

Don

I'm reasonably close, 20 miles? or so. Never on my goto list. All my info is from others I know that visit there. Trout struggle to make it thru the summer, not a great population of anything. Occcasional giant bass. Crappie can be ok thru the ice can be decent but spotty.
It seems like there are decent Black Crappie there. Maybe okay Perch but smaller Gills. I'm spoiled now for Gills as I'm used to catching pretty good size gils in Gouldsboro.

HenryDavid

If you want to fish for trout in Moon Lake do it soon, this year especially. By June the water gets warmer than ideal for trout. You can find 17-feet of water at the deepest but most of the lake is 5-7 feet deep, the algae and lily pads come in thick. Also this time of year the lake gets lots of fishing pressure. It's quite a bit smaller with regards to fishing area than it's listed, much of it is swamp.

pabassman

I would normally agree but today I read the biologists report and it mentioned it as being a warm water species lake. I heard that said about upper woods Pond as well but It is entrophic and so the holdovers can always find cold water.
It is a warm water species lake. That does not stop the fish commission from stocking it lol. Trout cant survive the summer in most of the lakes they stock around here. Harveys, Winola, Oxbow are the only real holdover lakes in my area. Its no Upper Woods for sure.

MB3

We fished it once in the Summer. It was loaded with lily pads. We did OK but it was a ride so it might be our only visit for a while.

truecrimson

Lol, Swatara Creek is warm water and cannot hold trout through the summer too. Every time I catch one there out of season I inform them of that but the trout don't listen to me ;)