My Line list:

Don

Currently these are the lines I'm using. I'll be pairing it up in the next year. I see 4 ,8 and 12 mono as being all I need from mono. I see 20 and 40 braid braid for one bait caster and One Penn spinning reel.
As I get better with a Baitcaster I'll move down in size but for now I'm not sure the $39 Bait caster is a precise enough platform for my skills and a smaller diameter of braid.
The PennZ will go to 20 Fireline at a future date.

Attachments

• Line List.pdf
    63.3 KB · Views: 3

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I appreciate your attention to detail and writing / organizing is a great way to collect and clarify thoughts.

However, no matter how many years you spend learning all of the lines and where they perfectly fit, you’ll do things like I did today, pick up a brand new line that you’ve never tried and then may fall in love with. ;)

This line has been on my radar. It is suppose to handle like mono, the diameter I feel is just right and the price point is very right, especially compared to the Sunline I really like.

14393C8D-CE73-4086-8601-1725BCFC9909.jpeg

Reactions: A-5

Don

Yes. Now this is on my Radar. Have you used it. Its a big claim to state it handles like mono. If so it will be great on some of my 'coil toss reels'(Mitchel 304 and Penns).
What will you use it on?

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Yes. Now this is on my Radar. Have you used it. Its a big claim to state it handles like mono. If so it will be great on some of my 'coil toss reels'(Mitchel 304 and Penns).
What will you use it on?
I have not used it yet but I am hoping it becomes a much cheaper replacement for the Assassin I’ve been using. Just checking it outside of the box, the line feels good to the touch but it’s definitely stiffer than mono but softer than assassin.

Bootfoot

Switch to all braid. Problem with mono is it has to be changed 4 or 5 times a year times that by say 30 rods. That gets expensive. Don’t get into the minutia over mono and flouro They both suck compared to braid in any application. Why mono/flouro is still on the market as anything more then leader material is baffling to me. If you come up with a overthought, over complicated, over hyped reason where fishing straight mono is a good idea you can always run 10, 20 or 30 yards of mono off the end of your braid And fish mono. Mono/flouro is just wasted money and lost fish because of piss poor sensitivity. Go all braid and you will never look back or ever try another make or model of the same old mono/flouro with a new catchy name and different packaging.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Switch to all braid. Problem with mono is it has to be changed 4 or 5 times a year times that by say 30 rods. That gets expensive. Don’t get into the minutia over mono and flouro They both suck compared to braid in any application. Why mono/flouro is still on the market as anything more then leader material is baffling to me. If you come up with a overthought, over complicated, over hyped reason where fishing straight mono is a good idea you can always run 10, 20 or 30 yards of mono off the end of your braid And fish mono. Mono/flouro is just wasted money and lost fish because of piss poor sensitivity. Go all braid and you will never look back or ever try another make or model of the same old mono/flouro with a new catchy name and different packaging.

I couldn't disagree more. They all have their place. Braid gets cut easily around rocks, Floro is superior in that instance. Braid also doesn't sink, making Floro superior in certain presentations like bottom jigs. I wouldn't use floro on a walking bait, braid is the goto there. I wouldn't use Braid or Floro to fish for Salmon, mono with shock absorption wins there much in the same way I would not use braid or floro for inline spinners, stretch is needed to hook fish.

Sure, you can use braid with a leader but how long of a leader is needed to alleviate abrasion? There really is no correct answer, it is guess work and praying to the fishing gods. You also have to tie connection knots when using braid. While I like how an FG knot slips through the guides, there is still interference. It won't affect long bombs but if you're trying to trigger a Bass and the cast has to be perfect under brush and sometimes to a spot the size of a coffee cup, it makes a huge difference and after you miss that cast, you'll question if you should be using a 18" leader so that the knot doesn't have to pass through the guides or a 14' leader so that the knot has momentum to pass through all of the guides. If there is one thing that I have learned about spin fishing for wild browns over the years, you only get that cast once and inches will literally decide if the day will be 10 or 50+ trout.

Bootfoot

For Don’s sake, i just want to state I am not mad, I am not being argumentative, i am not being childish and I don’t think I’m right and anybody else is wrong and nor do I think anybody else is mad, argumentative, childish or thinking they are right and everybody else is wrong. others are free to complicate their lives while I’m free to live an uncluttered and uncomplicated fishing life. I hope I covered everything there Don.

fishing line is very much a preference so your right there is no right or wrong approach. Sometimes preference is mired in fanatical devotion and some times it’s plain old hooey coming from the fishing marketing machine and sometimes it’s just old stubborn guys mired in their ways. I’ll lay claim to the latter.

yep, Ive heard each and every one of those characteristics before and I won’t argue them. I heard, and I’m sure, that braid gets cut on rocks. I pretty much fish nothing but rocks with braid and short leaders and simply don’t have that problem any more or less than I had with mono or flouro. What I like is how I can instantly tell the difference between a rock and a fish with braid And a short leader. I heard braid doesn’t sink and I won’t argue that either. It’s a good thing lead does sink because I bounce the bottom with lead tied to braid with a short leader. I can very easily sink the lightest Ned rig to the bottom on braid and a short leader. I have no problem sinking anything I want sunk. I never want stretch, to me stretch equates to missed fish. If I desire the shock absorption that mono provides through stretch I can get that same shock absorption with a limber rod without giving up anything in the sensitivity department. Such is the case with shad. They are hard hitting and hard fighting fish with paper mouths and limber takes care of all shock absorbing issues. Think noodle rod.

I use an FG knot. I don’t have any problems with it going through guides and it cause zero accuracy issues and causes zero hang ups in the guides. I will add that I have never come across a situation where I had to nail a coffee cup lid size target with a cast. to each their own as there are many ways to skin the proverbial cat.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Sometimes preference is mired in fanatical devotion and some times it’s plain old hooey coming from the fishing marketing machine and sometimes it’s just old stubborn guys mired in their ways. I’ll lay claim to the latter.
I lay claim to the former, with exception to the term mired. Marketing is over the top for sure but if you can put in some time and weed through the BS, there are great things to be had. I will add that sometimes spending $$$ doesn't equate into being the best and at other times, spending just $ gets the job done even better but keeping an open mind and evolving is important to keep improving.

I can get that same shock absorption with a limber rod without giving up anything in the sensitivity department
I do not know the species of fish you normally target. I can only assume that you do not Steelhead or Salmon fish because if you did, you would never make this statement unless you simply like breaking fish off.

I have never come across a situation where I had to nail a coffee cup lid size target with a cast.

Fishing styles vary, some people like to pull up a chair to the water's edge, cast a rod with a hunk of bait and wait it out. At times, I like that style of fishing too but then there are times and others that enjoy the constant learning and discovery of fishing and everything that goes with it. Don is a fine example of that type of person. Visiting sites like this is part of that process and sharing your experience with others is awesome but you can't just dismiss or belittle aspects that you do not use.

Bootfoot

Never seen a steelhead or a salmon. I didn’t know Don was salmon fishing. I’m sorry if I’ve offended you but I am not the one being dismissive or belittling. I thought I clearly stated these were MY preferences based on MY experiences not anybody else’s experiences. I clearly said MY way was not the only way, that it was only MY way and that we are all free to choose our own way. Some people over complicate the process of fishing just as some overly simplify it. I clearly simplify it but I’m not arguing for or against any approach. I only state how I do things with no intentions of offending anybody. I’m done, buy all the line and reels and rods your hearts desire.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Never seen a steelhead or a salmon. I didn’t know Don was salmon fishing. I’m sorry if I’ve offended you but I am not the one being dismissive or belittling. I thought I clearly stated these were MY preferences based on MY experiences not anybody else’s experiences. I clearly said MY way was not the only way, that it was only MY way and that we are all free to choose our own way. Some people over complicate the process of fishing just as some overly simplify it. I clearly simplify it but I’m not arguing for or against any approach. I only state how I do things with no intentions of offending anybody. I’m done, buy all the line and reels and rods your hearts desire.

I am not offended by any means. I am having a dialog about fishing. Well, fishing line and sharing my experience with it.

Don

So I'm in this for real. I like talking about technique and tools and I'm learning allot. As Time passes I'll be able to help others. Let me sum up what I've learned:
I wanted a rod for punching and also fishing for Striper. I wanted to use 50lb braid. Trout spinner said he prefers 30. I asked everyone what brand. Boot answered that any will do. So although Proline and others were mentioned I found a deal on Suffix. My compromises were 'any brand' (boot foot) and '40 lb (Troutspinner).
I learned more about hooks and preferred hook thickness/sizing. I drug this info right out of someone ;)
The bonus round was finding out about Seguar 101. Just a few days ago I was wishing there was a limber floro line for me to use on the other bait caster when fishing for bass and lakers in deeper water and for more general use as well.
I have had ADD my whole life. I remember and/or learn things by repeat questioning and by making notes. This has been a valuable thread. Thank you all for being generous with advice and experience. Looking forward to a review on the Seguar.

A-5

One. I agree with TS on all fronts. He has given me the tutorial on line before and it makes sense.

Two. I don’t hold to the fact that I can feel bites better with one line to another. I get it braid doesn’t stretch. So technically you will feel it better. Just never had a problem feeling bites.

Three I was given last fall Stren magnathin. It’s the best mono I’ve used to date and of course pure fishing discontinued it. People are saying sunline natural is just as good.

4- I think fisherman…..

Try to complicate things so much it makes me nauseous.

I loved taking my boys back In The day with wal mart fly rods and wet wading next to the Orvis and simms stick up their ass fisherman. Boys would start hitting fish and those stuck up robots would watch.

We used to go to the Salmon river with wuppin sticks and they would out fish the entire river.

5. I’m really disappointed with high end fishing gear and equipment. Yes 80 percent of the good stuff has a reputation for quality. But over the years when I’ve upgraded my equipment I’ve been dissatisfied with the quality of upgrade. Just saying.

6. No one here should ever get offended on one’s opinion. Where people get annoyed is when your being told your wrong because of the way your doing things. And I do it better cause I do it this way. Just saying

Don

I wanted to have line that was strong enough to rip free when hung up. It needs to lay down on the reel neatly. Suffix braid does that.
I enjoy hearing everyone’s opinion.
That being said I boated allot of fish yesterday on a mid 50’s rod and an early 60’s reel loaded with 4lb Red Cajun.

A-5

But why in Tarnation are you trying to bend hooks and break free. Use the knocker and use whatever line works. I don’t honestly understand that mentality.

Don

I never try to bend hooks, I tried to get you to do a class on Knockers but you shied away. there is only two times when I've bent hooks open. It's never deliberate but just happens. Here are the scenarios:
1) At certain Pocono lakes I cast back into stump fields to get panfish. Often the way is blocked to my boat due to submerged logs and debris. When I hook up to a stump or rock that is out of reach and I can't go get it then I pull until it comes free. This happens allot and when there is an average small gauge wire hook on the end it often bends open instead of the line breaking.
2) happens when canoeing or when using my drift boat in current that is faster than I can paddle. I like to fish through the riffles and have often snagged rocks of debris while underway. I'd be thankful if the hook opens to save me line.
low test mono will not be much help in these accidental events. High test Mono doesn't lay particularly nice on my lighter reels. 40 lb braid works pretty nicely or so they say.

A-5

I never try to bend hooks, I tried to get you to do a class on Knockers but you shied away. there is only two times when I've bent hooks open. It's never deliberate but just happens. Here are the scenarios:
1) At certain Pocono lakes I cast back into stump fields to get panfish. Often the way is blocked to my boat due to submerged logs and debris. When I hook up to a stump or rock that is out of reach and I can't go get it then I pull until it comes free. This happens allot and when there is an average small gauge wire hook on the end it often bends open instead of the line breaking.
2) happens when canoeing or when using my drift boat in current that is faster than I can paddle. I like to fish through the riffles and have often snagged rocks of debris while underway. I'd be thankful if the hook opens to save me line.
low test mono will not be much help in these accidental events. High test Mono doesn't lay particularly nice on my lighter reels. 40 lb braid works pretty nicely or so they say.
Got ya. I would catch the easier ones.

Reactions: Don