My new Inline "Bass" Spinner

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
My #1 favorite way to fish is using inline spinners. Before I got into Bass fishing, friends and I would go to Blue Marsh on our kayaks, try to catch a striper, get bored and then tie on the inline trout spinners I make and catch bass what seemed pretty easily, even at Blue Marsh. I then bought a boat and decided to "really" get into Bass Fishing and left the inline spinner behind in favor of trying what seemed like almost every other bait under the sun. I found a few that I really liked and are effective, including spin baits but still my most favorite method of fishing is the inline spinner.

That brings me to today, there are 2 reasons I stopped throwing those small inline spinners. Due to their size, they would create line twist on heavier line but the main reason, larger bass would easily engulf those spinners, it only took 2 times for me to lay them down because I know those 2 bass most likely met their doom. It happens in fishing but I realized, it was not responsible to keep fishing bass with them. Wanting to get back to inline spinner fishing, I created what I believe will alleviate those issues.

IMG_1710.jpeg

At just a little over a quarter ounce, this one will sail, even on a baitcaster, and should get down relatively quick compared to my original spinner size. I believe the size will be large enough to get past those deep hook sets but yet small enough to still be more attractive than say a larger spin bait. A pic for comparison.

IMG_1711.jpeg

Somewhat gimmicky but worth trying for really deep water is this odd looking one but this is the fun of building your own.

IMG_1712.jpeg

Half ounce! Yikes! Doesn't sound like much but for an inline, that is a bullet.....especially if you snag it in a tree and manage to get it out, at a hundred miles per hour.

Melvinp

My #1 favorite way to fish is using inline spinners. Before I got into Bass fishing, friends and I would go to Blue Marsh on our kayaks, try to catch a striper, get bored and then tie on the inline trout spinners I make and catch bass what seemed pretty easily, even at Blue Marsh. I then bought a boat and decided to "really" get into Bass Fishing and left the inline spinner behind in favor of trying what seemed like almost every other bait under the sun. I found a few that I really liked and are effective, including spin baits but still my most favorite method of fishing is the inline spinner.

That brings me to today, there are 2 reasons I stopped throwing those small inline spinners. Due to their size, they would create line twist on heavier line but the main reason, larger bass would easily engulf those spinners, it only took 2 times for me to lay them down because I know those 2 bass most likely met their doom. It happens in fishing but I realized, it was not responsible to keep fishing bass with them. Wanting to get back to inline spinner fishing, I created what I believe will alleviate those issues.

View attachment 3030

At just a little over a quarter ounce, this one will sail, even on a baitcaster, and should get down relatively quick compared to my original spinner size. I believe the size will be large enough to get past those deep hook sets but yet small enough to still be more attractive than say a larger spin bait. A pic for comparison.

View attachment 3029

Somewhat gimmicky but worth trying for really deep water is this odd looking one but this is the fun of building your own.

View attachment 3028

Half ounce! Yikes! Doesn't sound like much but for an inline, that is a bullet.....especially if you snag it in a tree and manage to get it out, at a hundred miles per hour.
Sweet now you have to dress your trebles bass love dressed trebles lol

Melvinp

I bought enough material to make just 20. If they work out like I believe they will, I will be buying a lot more supplies, several colors as well.
Lol about time more stuff to play with now just start thinking double blades rubber skirts oh sorry you got me going again lol nice work as always

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Lol about time more stuff to play with now just start thinking double blades rubber skirts oh sorry you got me going again lol nice work as always
My mind definitely went there! I got those skirts in with those parts. As long as I keep the skirt below the blade, they’ll spin. I even found skirt keepers that I can use on an online spinner. Simple to make.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I got to try out my spinner today. It’s a winner for sure. It spins perfect and there was 0 twist but I was in a River, that makes a difference vs a lake so the jury is still out on that part.

I didn’t catch anything however. Boo. We went to the upper Delaware to try to find some Walleye. Unfortunately, yesterdays rain had the water high and the lower you got, muddy. We did run into a few other guys who said the place we were fishing was really good and they always do well there, the day prior including but they said today, nothing with yesterdays front shutting them down.

I did manage to get one smallie to surface about 5’ from the shoreline on a tube, he was a champ for sure too but I just couldn’t get him to commit to the bite. Life of an angler right?

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Keep going on this thread. Why not weedless single hook? What size wire?
I used .026 wire on that lure. While it worked fine, I want to up that gauge to just a little more, maybe .031. I know a brute will bend it, I’ve bent .026 on nicer trout and smallies in the past.

That will however require me to move up one size on my clevis, no big deal, I just need to order some different parts but I’ll exhaust my current parts before doing so.

I have made single hook lures in the past and they work well. Weedless is hard to achieve, if you guard the hook, the top of the spinner at the clevis collects weeds too so I just move to another bait that is friendlier with weeds.

Solitario Lupo

I used .026 wire on that lure. While it worked fine, I want to up that gauge to just a little more, maybe .031. I know a brute will bend it, I’ve bent .026 on nicer trout and smallies in the past.

That will however require me to move up one size on my clevis, no big deal, I just need to order some different parts but I’ll exhaust my current parts before doing so.

I have made single hook lures in the past and they work well. Weedless is hard to achieve, if you guard the hook, the top of the spinner at the clevis collects weeds too so I just move to another bait that is friendlier with weeds.
What size clevis and blade are you running on that.

Melvinp

Keep going on this thread. Why not weedless single hook? What size wire?
Slow down Don good things come to those who wait lol time for you to get that vise out and there’s no such thing as weedless just fishless bahahah lol kinda

Melvinp

Maybe some sort of shield for the clevis maybe a brass cone but you need to figure out how to keep it from sliding down and stopping the clevis from turning maybe epoxy

Don

A tini brass sequin with a hole in the middle. 1 or two should do it. Why not use wire and bend your own clevis? I have some like that.
BTW all my spinners are completely weedless at the moment. 😉

Solitario Lupo

A tini brass sequin with a hole in the middle. 1 or two should do it. Why not use wire and bend your own clevis? I have some like that.
BTW all my spinners are completely weedless at the moment. 😉
Bending the wire works for the clevis but doesn’t spin as good as a easy spin clevis.