My new Inline "Bass" Spinner

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
For Bass....more than a quarter ounce but less than 3/8 to keep it usable to any rig.
I was wondering about speed. Do you usually draw the spinner at the minimum speed needed to keep it going nicely or do you always burn them in?

I try to maintain speed to just keep the blade spinning nicely in lakes. In streams, I burn them unless I am in a really deep hole, then I’ll count the drop and commence burning.

Don

Alright I won't ask how you know when Its on the bttm. I still have to learn counting. Suffice it to say that you keep it moving safely in rivers and slow it up in Lakes. I'm on track then (1001, 1002, 1003......).
I hope you come up with the magic spinner. I'm having fun using them and hope to use them more.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Alright I won't ask how you know when Its on the bttm. I still have to learn counting. Suffice it to say that you keep it moving safely in rivers and slow it up in Lakes. I'm on track then (1001, 1002, 1003......).
I hope you come up with the magic spinner. I'm having fun using them and hope to use them more.

I put a lot of time into experimenting with spinner builds. I think I am on the right track with the bigger spinner, I just need more time on the water with them when fish “should” be biting so I can reference how well or unwell they work.

Melvinp

I’m not convinced in color for bass. I am 100% convinced on trout, color doesn’t matter.

For bass, I think the brass or gold color ones mimic a sunny. Other colors could prove to be interesting but that is something I will have to tinker with when I figure out my final build.

The one TC tried last week I thought was going to be my final build but I think it’s just a tad too heavy. It works well climbing steep banks / rocks but I think it’s too heavy for just tossing at banks. I may downsize some beads to get it to a quarter ounce and give that a run next time on the boat.
WHITE

Don

Perhaps a collaboration BTWN Melvin And Troutspinster:

Try any of the following Mepps lures when fishing for Pickerel.
Pickerel Thumbnail

Aglia & Dressed Aglia Thumbnail
Aglia & Dressed Aglia

Aglia Bait Series Thumbnail
Aglia Bait Series

Aglia BRITE Thumbnail
Aglia BRITE

Aglia Flashabou Thumbnail
Aglia Flashabou

https://www.mepps.com/information/aglia-long/135
Aglia Marabou Thumbnail
Aglia Marabou

Aglia Streamer Thumbnail
Aglia Streamer

Aglia-e Thumbnail
Aglia-e

Aglia-e Thumbnail
Aglia-e

Aglia-e

Black Fury Thumbnail
Black Fury

Comet Combo Thumbnail
Comet Combo

Comet Mino Thumbnail
Comet Mino

Comet TRU-V Thumbnail
Comet TRU-V

Comet TRU-V Thumbnail
Comet TRU-V

https://www.mepps.com/information/comet-tru-v/855

Double Blade Aglia Thumbnail
Double Blade Aglia

Double Blade Aglia Flashabou Thumbnail
Double Blade Aglia Flashabou

Double Blade Black Fury Thumbnail
Double Blade Black Fury

Little Wolf Thumbnail
Little Wolf

Syclops Thumbnail
Syclops

Thunder Bug Thumbnail
Thunder Bug

Timber Doodle

Trophy Series

XD

Looking to catch another type of fish? View all fish species to find the lure you need.

Don

I caught trout and had hits from trout on white and silver. Caught bass on your black and red. Coincidence? Likely....Comparisons are sometimes fun. If you set this up as a "GremCat" (experiment) we could all give you feed back throughout the season. I have orange/red, black, White, silver, gold. I fish sometimes where there are bass and trout.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I caught trout and had hits from trout on white and silver. Caught bass on your black and red. Coincidence? Likely....Comparisons are sometimes fun. If you set this up as a "GremCat" (experiment) we could all give you feed back throughout the season. I have orange/red, black, White, silver, gold. I fish sometimes where there are bass and trout.
Please do. I don’t think there is one definitive answer though. It is water clarity that will affect color choice, the same as I run a jig, pumpkin / green, black / blue and white / chartreuse.

Don

White and Black have seen the most attention so far. But as the season progresses many of the shallow lakes I haunt will be too messy for spinners. Only on Mauch chunk, Merrill and Spruce run will it remain possible to spin outside the weed line.

Melvinp

Been thinking of this topic and even though I’ve caught fish in a pond or lake I can’t say that a in line spinner has ever been my go to lure in any non moving water. Just never had that much luck using them for really any kind of fish no less bass now a surface spinning rig oh yeah

Don

Been thinking of this topic and even though I’ve caught fish in a pond or lake I can’t say that a in line spinner has ever been my go to lure in any non moving water. Just never had that much luck using them for really any kind of fish no less bass now a surface spinning rig oh yeah
I see your point. It seems that if the fish have too much time to view it they quickly loose interest. I use them to pass hiding areas and prospect for hiding bass and Pickerel. anywhere that I might be passing a log, hole or rock. You basically have one shot at whatever you surprise. They work better in creeks and rivers but I don't fish those places much anymore.