New casting rod.

Don

Getting ready to build an all purpose casting rod.
I saw a guy pitching and the handle was long enough to actually fit against his body and arm pit. It was two piece handle. It looked light. must have been 8’.

So I ask: for a first rod dedicated to pitching or trolling what would you want. How heavy, how long and what guide spacing would you pick?

Solitario Lupo

I would not want a casting rod for trolling but it does work. I’ve learned to use my smaller rod on the yak and boat. Unless I’m chucking out those big lures.

Don

So maybe I should hold off on the Rod until I get some instinct about it and to see how it agrees with my needs.

A-5

Don gets done the rod

Oh crap

What shall I do it’s all wrong

Um mud hole deliver another

Don

I have to make one for my son for his birthday so I was thinking that I may as well build two.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Just my opinion but that is a tough question to answer because it is such an individual thing.

One person likes it one way, the next the other and then there is also the height of the user to consider. Me being of the smaller height (I blame the mailman) I need a smaller rod so I want something that has action in the tip to give me a little extra propulsion while a larger person can use a stiff long rod (oh god) and generate enough casting energy.

I’d say get a season under your belt and you will have more answers than questions.

Don

TS your reply as it sounds sensible. People see me and, since im almost A-5's size, they expect that I carry and use telephone poles for rods. In reality, for all other familiar types of fishing, I like a fast taper. I think it allows me to keep a steadier tension on the fish as I reel them in to the boat.

This post was more about learning what your's and others mailmen are carrying. Fishing from this tiny boat it seems that 6 and 6.5' is about right.
I see the scenario where for pitching and also for trolling the longer rod will shine. In order to accomodate a long long handle I may choose an 8 footer someday.
I like your rods and especially like the guide schedule that was used.