New for me hopper pattern

Bootfoot

It’s actually a schroeder parachute hopper tied on a curved shank hook. I like the separation of the legs and wing from the body.

Don

I used to buy or tie the Royal Wolf for Bluegills. Those DBL parachutes were tough for me. Below is one from Ole Florida Fly Shop.

Attachments

• Wulff_Royal__83150.1585237270.jpg.webp.jpeg
    Wulff_Royal__83150.1585237270.jpg.webp.jpeg
    118.6 KB · Views: 1

Bootfoot

Does it float or sink.
It’s suppose to float, it should float and I think it will float but I won’t be sure till I fish it this summer. I sure hope it floats.
I used to buy or tie the Royal Wolf for Bluegills. Those DBL parachutes were tough for me. Below is one from Ole Florida Fly Shop.
A royal wulff is not a parachute fly. the white posts are suppose to represent wings And there is no hackle wrapped around the base of the wing. A parachute fly has a center post, typically white, with a hackle wrapped around the base of the post not around the hook shank. I hope my wording makes sense.

Don

I've always heard them called Dbl Parachute or Dbl post. Its the same concept X 2. They are excellent for Gills no matter what they're called but a pain to tie.
I like that hopper and know it will fish well.

Bootfoot

The orientation of the hackle on the pictured hopper is the parachute. A post is what you lash hackle to. The white double ”post” of a royal Wulff is actually called a split wing. I concur, they are excellent gill getters and they float like corks. I hope you are right about the hopper catching fish.

Melvinp

The biggest thing will be how it floats I’ve never had great luck getting patterns to float without foam yeah for a cast or 2 but not long term

HenryDavid

The smallies tear flies apart. I'm lucky to get 2 fish on dry fly before it's either soaked and slimed or torn apart.

Bootfoot

Got to use flotant. I use gink. Depending on the flows it can be difficult to float flies and i am prepared for them to get tore apart. one reason why I tie my own is because of the general lack of durability for most flies. I’ll swap them out often and cut the old ones off the hook and make some more.

HenryDavid

I've tried everything. Pre-treat them, gink, fly dust, the river smallies are just brutal on dry flies. I usually tie on a new one then try to resurrect the beat flies for then next outing.