Night Time Lows

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Low temps the next couple of nights are lousy. Hopefully you haven’t planted anything or if you have them, taken the insulation off of your fig trees.

I think I’ll be focusing on work the next couple of days and weekend to hopefully clear up some time to fish mid-next week. Shame because Stripers have appeared in the bay but I know the cold temps are going to lock jaw them Saturday. Then again, I could always be wrong and kick myself for working. ;)

Reactions: Don

A-5

6” of snow in Pulaski today. Praise the Lord above. I want 30 degrees until last week of April! And so does Randy z, nappy, and MelvinP

Reactions: Don

Don

I sell them in our perennial lineup if some die I replace them but they are all "Chicago Hardy' and are supposed to be hardy planted in the ground. Roots should be okay but the uppers are probably toast. Our frost date is May 15th so I don't wan them in a shed that long.

MB3

Hopefully this is the last cold snap. The house is pretty well set inside now that we moved. The driveway needs to be expanded, trees downed and cut up. The yard needs curb appeal. I'm actually considering a tractor for property maint. We hand shoveled 44 tons of stone by hand and wheel barrow before Winter arrived. Damn near killed us both lol All I know is today wasn't the day to start. Bitter, biting cold. Bring those 60s back!

Melvinp

Hopefully this is the last cold snap. The house is pretty well set inside now that we moved. The driveway needs to be expanded, trees downed and cut up. The yard needs curb appeal. I'm actually considering a tractor for property maint. We hand shoveled 44 tons of stone by hand and wheel barrow before Winter arrived. Damn near killed us both lol All I know is today wasn't the day to start. Bitter, biting cold. Bring those 60s back!
It’s a good thing you said we shoveled lol

Reactions: MB3

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I’m going to against my own advice and hit the bay tomorrow. The fish are stacked so it’s hard to deny. Hoping a little warm up will get the water temp. high enough to get them active. Wish me luck!

Gremcat

It’s a good thing you said we shoveled lol
Is that like my Wife using “We”? As in “We” should really do X. It usually means I’ll do it, she’ll ask me how it’s done, she’ll tell me how I’m doing it wrong, then when guests marvel at how much work is done “We” did it. Lol, she’s really a Saint who tolerates way to much from me. I am forever cleaning up projects, things half finished, or scrambling last minute to complete a last second major remodel or something prior to Guests. Generally she expresses a desire or something she really wishes were different and before I know it I’m elbows deep.

Gremcat

[No message]

I got mine in pots and in the garage. They already got small leaves on them.

I sell them in our perennial lineup if some die I replace them but they are all "Chicago Hardy' and are supposed to be hardy planted in the ground. Roots should be okay but the uppers are probably toast. Our frost date is May 15th so I don't wan them in a shed that long.
Figs, in PA?!? Don’s a horticulture guy? Yep need to keep him on the good side. Think I planted about 300 perennial bushes, trees, fruit, etc. on our 1/2 acre city farm in Raleigh. I dug out 2’ by 1/2 acre of clay and replaced over a decade. Back hurts just thinking of it.

Reactions: A-5

Don

Your Arborvitae are not big. those below are:

Thuja Plicata, Giant Arborvitae, Western Red Cedar are all the same tree.

Attachments

• Unknown-1.jpeg
    Unknown-1.jpeg
    12.2 KB · Views: 0
  • images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    11.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    16 KB · Views: 0

Gremcat

Not big by those standards, just large, mature by landscape standards. Or maybe I’m calibrated to newer landscaping from high growth areas of the country. May be comfortably middle aged for all I know. I do see pics from less than 10 years ago and the round ones are smaller almost pruned while the Emerald Greens or similar are below the second floor roof line. Might be good to have someone that knows more come look and maybe trim some stuff. 2400DBCC-49CD-4585-B61D-8541983EB76E.jpeg2EDE93BB-6F75-48D1-919B-702B6C7CF7F0.png

Gremcat

Heck I can’t Even keep my Bro cutting grass high enough not to burn it. With rain a few years back and a little love it was pretty nice.

Gremcat

I handpicked some “Japanese” false cedars, hinokis, etc. and my kids let the small dog use them as pee trees so no longer with us. My older dog, God rest her soul, dug out a few $k in new landscaping around the bay window I put in. A few dozen varieties of coral bell/heucherellas, unique hosta, Pieris mountain fire, etc. Gypsy moths cost a few $k more in mature oak removal and crop dusting, my wife must’ve gotten bored and dug up my gardens instead of her own and stuff died. I’m not destined to have a maturely landscaped yard again anytime soon. Raleigh it took a decade if trial and error before kids and dogs had free reign.