Northern Pike

Don

I happen to know that you all really prefer catching large chain pickerel but that you settle for Bass because they don’t require any skill to catch. Solitario catches Muskie and Northerns because he has plan, made the commitment and perused the quarry patiently until they are in the boat.
Now he will tell us what size spinners to use if it is a known fact that the northern are all on the small side in a particular Lake.
He may also address color, time of day and habits of these fish throughout the year. Why would Sol do that ? Cause he’s a nice young man.

Solitario Lupo

Ok so you want me to write the book lol. Remember I catch Muskie but sometimes I get the pike on them but the lures can be a little overkill. I know you don’t agree with bigger baits = bigger fish but I’ve never caught a small fish on a big lure. So in this case the bigger the spinner the bigger the pike your going for. I’d say double blade spinners and the stuff I saw you tipping a plastic on all will work. Spinners with blades like #3 to #5 blades. Colors all depends on the day but as I always say I go as natural as possible. A couple dark one for muddy stained waters on dark days. Brighten it up on a sunny clearer water. I would thing the gold and silver will get them maybe with a little deer hair tale or flash.
Fishing for them is follow your rule when winding in. Never look at your lure but look behind they can be picky and just follow the bait. So big circles at the boat or figure 8s.

Solitario Lupo

Once the ice is leaving they say they stage up to spawn so right now would be the time to start fishing for them. Easier in numbers. A very easy way to get them even now is just a decent size minnow on a bobber. A big one if it’s hungry will take it.

Find the coves are swampy still areas. If it’s still got some cabbage in there. They’ll be in there trying to spawn.

Solitario Lupo

As for throughout the year they will swim around so you’ll have to find them. As they warm up n the sun they become more active. This makes them warm water fish but not hot water. So in the heat of summer I stop fishing for them in certain spots.

Your also looking for cloudy days. For some reason pike and Muskie love them. Or very early morning. I usually wait till sun down as soon as the mountains side cast a shadow on the waters. They pick up.

Don

Sol! you wrote a book! Very good! I got what I wanted out of it too. You said #5 Spinner and indeed I wandered btwn a 3 or 5. The colors were as I thought. I had heard they'd be staging up at Ice-out. Its the only time of year they can be found in thin water. Cloudy days are good.
I see you like a dressed hook. I have Deer hair, Maribou or Possum. Will they work?

As for A-5 I see your J13 comment. I have 1. But I have several large jitterbug and numerous rapala. The clerk in the Sportman Shop at Paupack suggested I just select a couple that I already own and use a blk sharpie on them. He said allot of fishermen do that. Will it work?

Solitario Lupo

Sol! you wrote a book! Very good! I got what I wanted out of it too. You said #5 Spinner and indeed I wandered btwn a 3 or 5. The colors were as I thought. I had heard they'd be staging up at Ice-out. Its the only time of year they can be found in thin water. Cloudy days are good.
I see you like a dressed hook. I have Deer hair, Maribou or Possum. Will they work?

As for A-5 I see your J13 comment. I have 1. But I have several large jitterbug and numerous rapala. The clerk in the Sportman Shop at Paupack suggested I just select a couple that I already own and use a blk sharpie on them. He said allot of fishermen do that. Will it work?
Any dressed hook will work.

Reactions: Don

Solitario Lupo

I’ve taken and done that with lures and no it’s not the best idea. It only works if the lure itself is crap and making it black will work.

The best lures I found that work are more reflective of colors. Different Hughes of colors.

Solitario Lupo

Don’t know if the pics will show but this is what I look into getting lures now. Just like the small glass shad. It reflects so many different colors.

Attachments

• 5C154F5F-6076-46BA-B292-FE0BF8F250E5.jpeg
    5C154F5F-6076-46BA-B292-FE0BF8F250E5.jpeg
    425.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 258C2EF7-85F7-40B9-BE3E-1F654910D4CD.jpeg
    258C2EF7-85F7-40B9-BE3E-1F654910D4CD.jpeg
    353 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: Don

truecrimson

Lots of color and reflection is always good. I like the rainbow patterns in a lot of different lures because PA stocks so many trout that they train everything to hit colors. But I certainly wouldn't turn down those reflective lures.

A-5

Don other fun fact. The oil based would need to be on the night before has a longer cure time than acrylics