Old Pic 5 deer in one night😳

Gremcat

Solo in 60 degree temps hunting a farm a few hours from home. 1st spike chased doe under me. I shot both and they disappeared. Spike chased doe immediately after 200+ yards out. Dumbfounded I missed I shot both offhand and saw them drop. Big guy came through at dark back in swamp. Climbing down I found the first two under my stand in tall grass lol. I wasn’t in bed until midnight, lol. I used to freeze full quarters in black trash bags then thaw after season and spend a week processing all the meat. 4 bucks and unlimited does back then. Add in farm depredation hunts and I killed too many to count some years. D6743D97-F00E-403B-B141-364030E2B930.jpeg5D0E77F4-72DD-4BBE-BB8E-7B3A4860BA43.jpeg

Gremcat

Don’t see these in PA lol joker scared the mess outta me in GA. I didn’t know they ate bugs and are mostly blind. I had him @ gunpoint lol.81EA6CC6-FD34-4D80-A5C9-91B4D3790547.jpeg

Last edited:

Gremcat

Or these, thought they were black groundhogs. A southern cat squirrel(fox squirrel), some have white nose tips with black rings on their nose, grey bodies, and a red saddled fur. I only saw them in GA but NC had pockets of them others said. I really wish I’d brought a 22. I’m a squirrel hunting fool. I can’t tell the difference between fox and greys here but down there they call em cat squirrels they are so big.7CAD1F82-DBCF-443F-A88C-35407CF5EAA0.jpeg

Melvinp

Or these, thought they were black groundhogs. A southern cat squirrel(fox squirrel), some have white nose tips with black rings on their nose, grey bodies, and a red saddled fur. I only saw them in GA but NC had pockets of them others said. I really wish I’d brought a 22. I’m a squirrel hunting fool. I can’t tell the difference between fox and greys here but down there they call em cat squirrels they are so big.View attachment 2459
Squirrel tail jigs galore

Reactions: Don

Gremcat

Haha, I went to Sandhills of central N.C. before moving trying to locate them before moving but couldn’t find any. Late season so probably denned up.

truecrimson

Don’t see these in PA lol joker scared the mess outta me in GA. I didn’t know they ate bugs and are mostly blind. I had him @ gunpoint lol.View attachment 2455
Had a few of those scare the crap put of me hunting in Texas from my teens to early 20s. They'll come right at you and all you see is tall grass moving like in a horror movie. Like velociraptors in Jurassic park.

Or they'll be making noise in the bushes and scrub brush. You can never see what is making the noise until you have completely psyched yourself out. Then it's "crap! Just a *&%^$ armadillo again!"

It's all show. They are harmless to humans unless you don't handle or cook them correctly.

They do steel beer, though.

truecrimson

They call them Possum on a half shell down there.

Jokers eat everything in rural GA, barbecue fox, raccoon, bobcat, all kinds of weird stuff. They won’t touch the armadillos though.
Texas is the opposite. We'd make armadillo chili and leave the trash pandas alone.

Reactions: A-5

Gremcat

They would make cool house pets, except they’d have to be indoor. My Gram had one undermine her foundation pier in Florida years ago.

The disease part would be an issue too. Bet you could litter train like a ferret though, lol. Always wanted a ferret then a fennec fox then I smelled fox spray and Nooopppee. My 5 yo “cleaned” my mower with it when he found his brother’s spray bottle of fox urine for trapping. Garage light still have some funk.

Melvinp

Had a few of those scare the crap put of me hunting in Texas from my teens to early 20s. They'll come right at you and all you see is tall grass moving like in a horror movie. Like velociraptors in Jurassic park.

Or they'll be making noise in the bushes and scrub brush. You can never see what is making the noise until you have completely psyched yourself out. Then it's "crap! Just a *&%^$ armadillo again!"

It's all show. They are harmless to humans unless you don't handle or cook them correctly.

They do steel beer, though.

Where do you come up with this stuff lol

Don

Even if you saw it yourself you wouldn't believe it
But I wouldn't trust a person like me if I was you
Sure I wasn't there, I swear I have an alibi
I heard it form a man who knows a fellow who says it's true
;)
Joe B?
oops...

truecrimson

Joking aside, as Grem said armadillos are practically blind and they aren't afraid of anything. They'll come right at you, with no ill intent, but all you see if grass moving and bushes rattling. It's very unnerving because no other animals typically go straight at a human, and you can't see what it is until it's right there in front of you.

Lonestar beer had a whole series of commercials back in the 70s and 80s about them attacking beer trucks and stealing beer. I could only find that one that I posted.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
These posts reminds me of one time I was bow hunting with my Dad. I was in my teens and according to my Dad, if you weren't in your spot at least an hour before light, you were late. I was not using a stand that day but knew those woods and parked myself at the base of a large Ash Tree positioned so that I could get a nice look over the hill once it got light out.

About 15 minutes into my sit, I hear something from the slope of the hill making it's way up to me. It wasn't large but it wasn't small either, I remind you, I was in my teens....was it something going to eat me! LOL. This thing makes it's way to literally the other side of the tree I am sitting at and just stops! I sat there not moving an inch until I finally worked up the courage to turn on and shine my flashlight around the side to my right. I kid you not, in that split second, it made itself known! A bandit with it's arms in the air! Apparently, I scared him more than I was and I just busted out laughing, It was so funny! something out of a cartoon. That Raccoon scurried off quick but that image of a Raccoon with his arms in the air like "you got me" is burnt into my brain forever.