Older reels, what size?

Don

I like the older stuff. I like stuff that can be repaired, stuff that can be called a classic. The heavy reels I have are from 35$ tourist combos that I picked up in Destin years ago. They sort of still work, kind of, as good as Barney's dinosaur excavator on the Flintsones. They're hard to love. So in light of becoming a champion Bass fisherman over-night It may do me well to get a decent reel. Something I can keep running a couple hundred thousand miles. And for Bass and Tiny Pike like Nappy and Melvin catch what weight rod. I was thinking 8' 10-12lb. for a sort of all purpose rod with a "B" sized reel like an old President or similar. I had been told to avoid Jap made stuff unless I buy their top quality which seems unaffordable.
Talk to to me.

ps: I have really been enjoying the old Johnson pushbuttons as boat rods.

Don

I like Lamson Liquid. But I have a really nice collection of restored medalists I love.
ill look hard at Penn. I want old. Like real old. Sixties through 70’s. I’ve been enamored but Dam Quick. And also pre Garcia Abu.

Don

I was just looking at them and the 400. I don’t know how big of a reel to go for striper. I think a 300 would do it. I caught all those bass on two Johnson 100’s and a pfluebef trion ultra lite.

Don

“Penn Battles if I were to spend a dime on a reel”

They seem very nice but out of my range for now.

A-5

Correct. I’ve never bought personally a reel over $30. My pins were were all gifts. Lol.

Don

You hang with good peeps. I'm in no hurry. I like classics. Well I like all reels but I can afford classics.

Last edited:

Don

You can even change the color on the rubber bands. Try that with todays reels..........

Don

It amazes me how difficult it would be to choose a new model of any fishing gear as new don't necessarily have the track record of older gear. There is hardly a fisherman that doesn't know what a Mitchell 300 or Fenwick Rod is capable of but much of the new equipment doesn't have more than a few more years of use and it still remains to be seen which of the new will be called classic in 40 years.

Melvinp

I'm new here. I am a Mitchell guy, mostly 204,308 and 408's though I do have some others. I like to get them beat up, and save them. Here is the best save I made a 406.
Nice work don I have a bunch that need to be serviced and new line to please lol

Don

Man they let any old Don on this forum, lol. Welcome aboard Don. All friends here.

Don

Hey Don, We were just talking about pouring your own jigs and powder coating them. Melvin, A-5, and others do this with a fluid Bed. I tried to find the thread but failed. Perhaps someone else can find it.