Pa Trout Opener 2023

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Who’s heading out? Where ya heading?

I doubt I will go with the rain coming but a friend did mention getting out, just he and I like the old days so that has some interest for me. Most likely French Creek, Skippack, Pickering, etc.

I did go out with a friend and his son last week for the youth opener. I was the camera man / lure tie-er? His son did well, catching 3 on a stretch sparsely stocked. More like they made the escape to those spots. He kept 2 for dinner, a rainbow and a brown and I got a Dunkin Coffee for my efforts. ;)

truecrimson

Looks like decent weather Sunday. Still planning to bushwhack some new nearby territory Sunday. Don't want to say where until I check it out.

Most of my usual haunts are well known and heavily trafficked so I am not burning anything if I say Memorial Lake or Swatara Creek. But this place has hidden from me since I moved here in '09 so maybe it has hidden from everyone else too ;)

Blackcat Outdoors

Well, I got flame😃. I also got puff back and some black sooty smoke exiting the chimney now 🤬

Looking like I'm going to stay home tonight. Going to let the house warm up and kill it. Guess I'm gonna be cleaning a furnace at 0600 tomorrow now before I get any fishing in.

MB3

No early starts and camping for a spot in rain and 57mph gusts. We will give it a try but definitely not a boat weekend. Good luck to all!

Reactions: A-5

Don

I wish I were there I’d join up with someone. Pennypack sounds historic and fun.

Don M

Well up at 4:00 as usual. Walked the dog at 5:00 in just a sweat shirt, all was calm and felt like 60° I was sweating.Figured I'd get the gear ready at 6:45. Stepped out of the man/Maya cave, light rain and the wind is a blowin. Maybe I'll check it out later.

Blackcat Outdoors

I was up and moving at 0500. Started getting gear around and the Mrs wasn't feeling well. She seems way better now, so I'm going to bang out the furnace cleaning here soon and if she's okay I'll head out around 9/9:30. I don't see much decent fishing until at least this afternoon.

After the storm last night, I think I'm going to leave the kyack at home. I'm going to go setup camp and stick to the bank I think.

Don

It seems to me that this time of year, trout and perch hit them hard that’s when the in-line spinner shine so I think

MB3

Total suck fest. Tobyhanna was shut down. We tried 2 other spots and managed a few. Garbage opener but hey, it is open.

Don

Wow. I hope to be up that way for perch and Calico. Ext week. On Gouldsboro.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I talked to my buddy this morning and I told him the weather was going to clear, he was convinced another storm was coming so he decided not to go out. When the sun revealed itself, I headed over to my small local reservoir to see if I could turn any bass. I only got 2 bites so I guess I’m still rusty but in my defense, the one I missed was because I was on the phone with guess who? My buddy, who called to say I was right about the weather and he wanted to go trout fishing! Next time Johnny. ;)

Reactions: MB3

Solitario Lupo

Weather sure is crazy today. Creeks are muddy. Hard day fishing had to put the time in for them which I wasn't doing. Messed around with a golden rainbow and couldn't get it to bite.

Reactions: MB3

truecrimson

We had high wind, heavy rain, and some power blinks here today. But tomorrow is supposed to be better. Blown out or not I am planning on trying to hit a creek.

Don

That is right tC get it all cleaned up before I get home tomorrow night.

Melvinp

A couple of small bows water was pretty high and cloudy where I was over the mountain clear and low kinda funny how conditions can change by only a few miles