Perca, Pomoxis, lepomis

Don

So, Be honest now, No horsing around, No barbershop tales, Where should I go to get perch for the freezer?

Gouldsboro has some of the best perch that I've seen but being only 235 acres and less than 5-6' deep the weeds are still horrible and it is all but unnavigable.

I want to put maybe 50 or so into the freezer for winter. Shahola seemed okay for Gills but I caught no Crappy or perch. Where would you recommend?

A few bass would be nice as well. If I fish at a non-bigbass lake isn't the size limit 12"? That would be delicious.

So where, where, where would you go? I have Saturday and Sunday.

Would you use minnows or worms. Meal worms or wax?

Where are the perch the healthiest and biggest?

A-5

I would have to private text that and it can’t go public. MB3 gets slammer perch.

Don

It’s only fair. Have him PM me. I want all your secrets…everyone’s.

Don

For those of u, unlike me, whom have been fishing for crappie and perch for longer than 2 years, if I use minnows is there a noticeable increase in the number of perch and crappy vs Gills? I would really like to catch more perch and crappy if there is an easy way, i.e. switching bait, I'd do that. What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

Don

Thanks HD! I caught a bunch there but they were all dinks. Should I have been in deeper water?

Solitario Lupo

Right now the perch are coming into shallow waters. They are more cold water fish. Crappy are more warm water fish so they will be going deeper. Right now when the lakes start to change the fish will be swimming around. So should be now.
As for baits. Minns work. Worms should get them. Or any smaller lures.
Once you find the school go fast they might not be their long.

Don

Will do. My local bait shop said 1" Gulp minnows for crappy catch much better than live minnows. He sells both. what are your thoughts.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Will do. My local bait shop said 1" Gulp minnows for crappy catch much better than live minnows. He sells both. what are your thoughts.

1" Gulp minnows catch everything! So far with them I have caught sunnies, crappie, smallmouth and largemouth bass, catfish, walleye and whipers. But that is the thing about them, if you're targeting a specific species and I guess live would be the same, you'll catch species you don't want to catch as well.

Don

So he set me up with 2" instead. We'll see. Once I committed to ask his advice I thought I better follow through.
In addition he said that its still too warm and that the crappy are still shallow and the perch are still deep. again I asked his opinion and will have to take his word. I can tell you if I come home empty handed I'll have minnows on Sunday.

Don

Yes I have some others who have mentioned minnows as well. I so want to prove them wrong. It always amazes me...you walk into a reputable bait shop...anywhere USA. In variably I tell the clerk to set me up with the most successful method to fill my freezer and instead of minnows and live bait they sell me plastic junk...and I fall for it.... I've just got to learn how to use this crap.

A-5

Gulp minnows aren’t junk. They are fantastic. But a live minnow below your boat awesome. Rivers? Well gulp might outshine in river by being more durable and as a river can more of a opportunistic quicker strike the gulp might be equal.

truecrimson

I'm still striking out with minnows. I've never been able to do any good with them. But I did receive some recent instruction from our resident minnow master, so that combined with stubbornness may yet accomplish something.

Don

Yes but he’s got history. You’re startled my out old.
Back to worms today.

HenryDavid

Thanks HD! I caught a bunch there but they were all dinks. Should I have been in deeper water?
I do not know. I was told by many ice fishermen they catch a lot of perch in the reservoir, I suppose dinks are everywhere. If you're willing to travel I would suggest Lake Winola, big perch in there.