PFBC Introduction to ice fishing

pabassman

Well the bow is definitely out. One of the bow guys at Cabela's told me had some people that had heart bypass surgery previously that couldn't use a bow, and that has been a concern of mine since my surgery in 2012. I had hoped that since 10 years have passed I would be able to use a bow. I have had several episodes over the years where I hurt myself pulling up patients or carrying heavy boxes on my shoulder. But that has not happened in a while. The bow guy said the only way to know for sure was to set up a bow for me at the minimum draw weight, and try it, slowly and carefully. Then slowly and carefully increase the weight until I couldn't do it. So he set one up for me at 31 pounds. The initial draw was tough but OK. When the cam rolled over I felt a bunch of muscles pull that I didn't even know I had. I was in pain and my right shoulder and chest weren't right for the rest of the night. They seem to be better this morning. Still stiff and my should is popping with certain movements.

So we went to look at the ice fishing stuff. The selection in store was small and I ended up not getting anything.

Todays question;
How important is clothing? Is just ordinary warm clothing sufficient? Most of my ordinary warm clothing is cotton, so I should probably switch that out for synthetic and wool, but do I really need $250 floating bibs? Explain it to me like you're explaining it to Don ;)
Clothing and safety are the primary concerns. Without the right clothes you wont last an hour. I have the Ice Armor float suit. Bibs and coat. No you dont REALLY need them but I wouldnt be without them. If you went thru they will help you stay up and get out. Ice picks are another safety item you dont go without. I have an older pair of Sorel pack boots and last year got the Clam boots. I think they're called sub-zero. A lot of my friends have Muck artic. Very warm and waterproof. Wool socks, gloves(3 pair) and hat. Spikes/cleats for when the ice is smooth and extra slippery.

Last edited:

Don

They couldn't do so as I 'would get it'. Save your money. Get a proper trolling motor setup. Spend what ever time you have on the water.

pabassman

What do you wear under your ice armor?
NOTHING 😅

The suit I have is very warm. I always had several layers. First day with the suit I thought I was going to die. It was in the teens and it was so hot I ended up taking off a sweater and sweatshirt. Now no long underwear pants. A long sleeve t shirt, sweatshirt, heavy hoodie most days. Friday it was 38 when I got there so I skipped the sweatshirt.

pabassman

What do you guys think of these choices to get started?

Auger is ok. Manual so.........
I dont use tip ups
Might want a little better quality combo, I love my 13 fishing set ups
Safety kit is good, important
Scoop is fine, steal a slotted spoon from the kitchen lol
Thats a nice sled. You can go smaller or just use a kiddie sled.
Never used a rod holder
Same coat/bibs I have

truecrimson

Thank you. Norfin had good reviews too. A little over half the price of the clam combo. I'll check out piscifun.

I can't afford an electric auger right now, unless I sacrifice other stuff. Plus I am not sure how much I am going to like this.

You don't like Eagle Claw? I know they are a cheap brand but I have had 3 of their rods for years and have not had a problem with any of them. I'll look at 13 fishing. This is just to get started. If I take to ice fishing then I can get more/bigger/better stuff later.

Screenshot_20230101_152444_Gallery.jpg
Checking out Stoever's right now while running errands. There's ice but obviously too thin. It's still liquid along the bank.

HenryDavid

I bought an Ice Armor jacket years ago, rarely use it. I like to layer up from base layer to medium, etc. fleece jacket with insulated hoodie on top and a real winter coat thrown in the sled that rarely gets used. I'm a big fan of neck warmers, thick wool knit caps and ear warmers. My cheap boots are waterproof, with merino wool socks they work fine. I like to be able to strip down to keep from over heating then layer up again if I'm not moving around a lot.

HenryDavid

You probably have some medium / light spinning reels already, just pick up a couple of cheap ice rods and use your reels. In my experience the "combos" come with crappy reels, I've junked several that were part of combos.

I also use a hand auger. There have been only a few occasions when I've had to drill through 2-foot or more of ice, if your blades are sharp you will have no problem. Hand auger is lighter, no need for batteries or fuel, and you can build up your Pop-eye arms, lol

pabassman

I have 4 sonicor, 2 microtec, and a couple others. I love the rod I got from Randy Z. I hand a hand auger til this year. 6" Nils. End of season sale last year I got a K-Drill. I use a M18 hammer drill for it. I still carry my hand auger. Friday I got to the lake an realized I forgot a battery. Thankfully the ice was 6". Wasnt bad. A buddy showed up a bit later with his electric. I'm not one to sit and wait too often. We will make an area look like swiss cheese lol.

Screenshot 2023-01-01 5.53.06 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-01-01 5.54.31 PM.png

Don

Hey Texas, You live in Lebnun...Not Happy HollowNEPA. if u want to ice fish it will take place in your freezer.. focus on getting your kayak game swingin! It’s something you can do all year. Besides, the way winter‘s have been going and your lack of free time, your window to fish hard water is almost gone. Most of the guys above that ice fish would love to watch you squirm for a day or two on the ice with them. It would help you decide if it is really what you‘re after. Then if you want fish to take home.....hit a Burger King on the way home.

p.s. job 8 is just around the bend...