Pike flies!

Don

Last question. What size hooks. Beamer would probably say 8/0. Forget that. What size are you and your buddies using for pike and is it the same size as for bass?

Nappy

I use 3/0 to 7/0 for my bigger flys
Just match the hook size to what size fish your targeting.
I don't use wieght on my big stuff so I use big hooks for the extra wieght most times.

Reactions: Don

Don

It just dawned on me I have a limber 4wt, slightly stiffer 5wt and medium 6wt, all fiberglass. The flies I showed you are 'about it' for what I can toss.

Don

Check out game changers. Don.
I'm not ready for the expense of articulated flies. Furthermore I would need a stiffer rod to toss them any distance. My 6wt is med.pwr, med.tip and I like that most of the time. but it has some downsides.

Solitario Lupo

I'm not ready for the expense of articulated flies. Furthermore I would need a stiffer rod to toss them any distance. My 6wt is med.pwr, med.tip and I like that most of the time. but it has some downsides.
Hear ya on a heavier rod. As for the Fly being expensive, the way I do it it’s not. Feathers at the craft store. Articulated shanks are made from spinner wire. Eyes cheap from eBay. The body wrap I wait for good sales then buy a couple. Any waterproof marker.

Any fly I make I try to find the cheapest way I can do it so I can make more.

Reactions: Don

Nappy

Which one. Floating, intermediate, sinking tip? Standard Ambush or one of the specialties?
4 to 6wt floating.
There's lots of good lines out there. Rio has some good heavy head lines.
Wulff ambush is my go to just remember it has a 18 Foot head.

I'm not a big fan of loop to loop connections going out through the eyes on my rods. That's why I never jumped on OPST

I personally love Wulff Ambush but that's me.

Oh and on another note. Skagit style lines some rods with small eyes don't work well.

Don

I'm looking at them. What I have on now is working so I'm in no hurry. I did find the Ambush interesting.
Rio has 12' and 7' fast sinking leaders with loop to loop. interesting.

Don

High and tight
When you strip, you build speed when it stalls at the end of the strip it turns sideways to the right and to the left. That's how you walk it.
Is this fly one of yours. Very appropriate to my abilities.

Don

Hear ya on a heavier rod. As for the Fly being expensive, the way I do it it’s not. Feathers at the craft store. Articulated shanks are made from spinner wire. Eyes cheap from eBay. The body wrap I wait for good sales then buy a couple. Any waterproof marker.

Any fly I make I try to find the cheapest way I can do it so I can make more.
I never thought about using the wire for the shanks, Sounds do able. One of the problems I've seen with substituting stated materials is it is easy to get off track and so you never come to the product that the recipe meant you to have......ask me how I know!

Solitario Lupo

I never thought about using the wire for the shanks, Sounds do able. One of the problems I've seen with substituting stated materials is it is easy to get off track and so you never come to the product that the recipe meant you to have......ask me how I know!
I’ve been there done that. But sometimes those people who come up with the recipe can’t make the equipment they use and have to use what others come up with. I like to do it all.

Don

I don't know if they'll walk my dog but they were fun to tie. they're my version of a young Bluegill in case it isn't obvious. one is tied hook up on an offset 1/0 VMC WG and the other on a Gamakatsu 4/0 Octopus Circle.

IMG_4792.jpegIMG_4793.jpegIMG_4797.jpeg