Plastic Baits & Techniques to use them

Don

Today was day two of fishing in high winds. Un Fun! To avoid two foot waves on the reservoir I fished at Hidden Lake. It’s called that because it is hidden with a horrendous weed issue. And it is all less than 6’ deep. The water was 83 in some spots. Ned Rig and wacky were worthless as they were constantly snagged in coontail. I landed a small LMB and a large Gill. Pretty poor day of fishing but beautiful. Gonna have to learn a better way to fish these rigs.

Last edited:

Don

When do I start using the football jigs and trailers and will they be a filthy mess as well. Or are they used outside or the weed line on deeper lakes?

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
When do I start using the football jigs and trailers and will they be a filthy mess as well. Or are they used outside or the weed line on deeper lakes?
You can use them any time of the year. If you were to watch any Pro/YouTuber, they often do their monthly or seasonal best baits and a football jig is mentioned in every single one.

My personal experience is when they pull off of the shallows from spawning, the game is on for a consistent bite.

I do not throw footballs in weeds. There are better jigs, like a swim jig that are designed for that purpose.

Reactions: Don

Don

You can use them any time of the year. If you were to watch any Pro/YouTuber, they often do their monthly or seasonal best baits and a football jig is mentioned in every single one.

My personal experience is when they pull off of the shallows from spawning, the game is on for a consistent bite.

I do not throw footballs in weeds. There are better jigs, like a swim jig that are designed for that purpose.
So you are chucking them just outside the weed line where the bottom is cleaner?

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
So you are chucking them just outside the weed line where the bottom is cleaner?

I guess you could but I don’t throw them where there is grass. I’d rather throw A Texas Rig, Tiny Child Rig, Swim Jig or Chatterbait in that area.

I throw a Football jig a few feet inside of the shade line on banks or preferably, a structure I’ve marked that I know there is fish on.

Reactions: Don

Don

Anyone using these for trout or anything? My son uses them for stock trout in spring with good success. I thought that maybe if I rigged them as shown I could up my summer perch/crappy gage in the Mat and coontail.

Attachments

• 6956BDBA-3D66-4369-8B7A-931649D8F61A.jpeg
    6956BDBA-3D66-4369-8B7A-931649D8F61A.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 1

Don

I was thinking size 8, 10 or 12? And was thinking of wacky style. What are your preferences?

Don

Then as I’ve seen the damaged rubber worms accumulate around here and knowing that I am after summer perch and crappie I decided on a little surgery.
Below I took one old Zum and, with a sharp knife, cut it lengthwise. The head went onto a jighead and a drop of super glue. The other half was quartered and is shown being hooked by various methods. Shall I try them or am I wasting my time?

Attachments

• 88C430E9-C28A-4497-9ED8-D12DB291200E.jpeg
    88C430E9-C28A-4497-9ED8-D12DB291200E.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Then as I’ve seen the damaged rubber worms accumulate around here and knowing that I am after summer perch and crappie I decided on a little surgery.
Below I took one old Zum and, with a sharp knife, cut it lengthwise. The head went onto a jighead and a drop of super glue. The other half was quartered and is shown being hooked by various methods. Shall I try them or am I wasting my time?
Always worth trying.

Don

IMO this is where the offset hook is the most important. Small offerings to big fish.